75 Seasons The Story Of The NFL

Rupert Patrick

Re: 75 Seasons The Story Of The NFL

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I remember there was a book about this also when the NFL reached it's 75th anniversary in 1994. The 100th anniversary will be much larger, I imagine, and people like us will be in demand to help relate the history of the game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:people like us will be in demand to help relate the history of the game.
Of course, the NFL likes to use sports radio guys as talking heads for many of their shows now, most of whom have no clue what took place before 1980. Therefore, I'll hold my breath before expecting to see the more than qualified people from here on there. :x
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:people like us will be in demand to help relate the history of the game.
Of course, the NFL likes to use sports radio guys as talking heads for many of their shows now, most of whom have no clue what took place before 1980. Therefore, I'll hold my breath before expecting to see the more than qualified people from here on there. :x
With the 100th anniversary coming up, you would think NFL Films would put together some sort of comprehensive series on the history of the game a la Ken Burns Baseball where they devote two hours to each decade. I think they have more than enough footage and stories to tell (along with archival interviews with the players) to do a tremendous 2 hour documentary on the NFL and AAFC of the 1940's. And I have to know that if it is done well, Joe Average Fan will watch it, just as they watched the Ken Burns film. I would almost rather see it done for cable, maybe somebody like Showtime, where it will actually run two full hours. Chris Willis, are you out there?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I had this on VHS back in the day. Well, I still have it but the VCR kicked the bucket awhile back. I've been looking for it on DVD but apparently its never been released in that format.
With the 100th anniversary coming up, you would think NFL Films would put together some sort of comprehensive series on the history of the game a la Ken Burns Baseball where they devote two hours to each decade
I really hope so! Someone probably will in some way shape or form. But 90% will probably be devoted to "the Super Bowl era".
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I had this on VHS back in the day. Well, I still have it but the VCR kicked the bucket awhile back. I've been looking for it on DVD but apparently its never been released in that format.
With the 100th anniversary coming up, you would think NFL Films would put together some sort of comprehensive series on the history of the game a la Ken Burns Baseball where they devote two hours to each decade
I really hope so! Someone probably will in some way shape or form. But 90% will probably be devoted to "the Super Bowl era".
Of course, the Burns documentary is somewhat overrated, given its extreme focus on the Red Sox.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

[quote="BD Sullivan"
Of course, the Burns documentary is somewhat overrated, given its extreme focus on the Red Sox.[/quote]

Not just the Red Sox but also the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers. I don't think Burns was completely off base (no pun intended) in featuring those teams as they were the focal point of many of MLB's primary historical moments, players and events.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnH19 wrote:[quote="BD Sullivan"
Of course, the Burns documentary is somewhat overrated, given its extreme focus on the Red Sox.
Not just the Red Sox but also the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers. I don't think Burns was completely off base (no pun intended) in featuring those teams as they were the focal point of many of MLB's primary historical moments, players and events.[/quote]

Except in his sequel from a few years ago, he spends over a half hour just on the 2004 Red Sox postseason, then jams about six champion's seasons into about two minutes. :roll:
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I've been re-watching the series over the past few months. The sequel is the only "inning" I haven't seen yet.