BEST Performance in Career Record-setting Game

oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Another thread asks "Has anyone else in any sport ever had a worse performance in a career record-setting game
than Peyton Manning the other day?
"

The following certainly qualifies as "anyone else in any sport."

It was at Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on September 28, 1941.

That's a little early for those who like to use the term "back in the day."
For most of those folks, their "day" was sometime near the dawn of ESPN.
"YouTube" was a long way from becoming a place where the munchkins could "browse" when Mommy and Daddy weren't looking.

But, that September afternoon was one of the most historic days in the entire world of sports.
"Teddy Ballgame," "The Thumper," "The Splendid Splinter," or simply, Ted Williams set a record he already had earned.

The Red Sox were scheduled for a double-header against the "A's" - that's the Philadelphia A's for you ESPNers.
Williams' batting average stood at .39955 and, if he did not play, his season would end at .400 with the average rounded.

But Ted Williams was made of sterner stuff - the same stuff that flows in the veins of a Peyton Manning, or a Brett Favre,
or a Tom Brady.
Ted played the double-header and went 6-for-8 to finish the season with .406 and break the record of .390 accomplished
31 years earlier.

The stats rats probably have 100 places where Williams' record is posted but it is rare that you find the story of the heroics
and the guts that led to it.
It was the last day of the season and he took the chance to go out a winner.
No free rides for Ted.

When they are all done, Manning and Favre and Brady will have moved every quarterback in history down a couple of notches
and everything they have achieved is worth every bit of recognition they will get for it.
Only the envious will say different.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JuggernautJ

Re: BEST Performance in Career Record-setting Game

Post by JuggernautJ »

The only game of Historical significance I've ever attended was the 1994 Season Opener, 49ers vs. Raiders in which Jerry Rice broke the all-time NFL TD record.

Jerry had on heck of a night, scoring 3 TDs including one on a end around of 30* yards (iirc).
I wish I could find the exact stats for that game... perhaps someone more search savvy can produce them.

I'm sure it wasn't Jerry's BEST ever game but it was a great game in a record breaking situation.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Walter Payton gained 155 yards against New Orleans on the day he surpassed Jim Brown's rushing record.

Joe Montana became the career leader in Super Bowl TD passes with his domination of Denver.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote:The only game of Historical significance I've ever attended was the 1994 Season Opener, 49ers vs. Raiders in which Jerry Rice broke the all-time NFL TD record.

Jerry had on heck of a night, scoring 3 TDs including one on a end around of 30* yards (iirc).
I wish I could find the exact stats for that game... perhaps someone more search savvy can produce them.

I'm sure it wasn't Jerry's BEST ever game but it was a great game in a record breaking situation.
He caught 7 passes for 169 yards and 2 TDs and carried the ball once for 23 yards and a TD.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 050sfo.htm
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

A couple of career interception records were broken with style.

- Paul Krause, age 37, broke the NFL's all-time interception record with two picks against the Rams in 1979. Unfortunately the Vikings still lost in OT.

- Ed Reed broke the NFL's career int. return yardage record with a Week One pick six against the Bengals in 2012.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I remember when Art Monk broke Steve Largent's receiving record in a Monday Night vs. Denver. His stats were not extarordinary (7 catches for 69 yards, no TDs,) but the Redskins beat the Broncos 34-3 and his teammates carried him in arms and all RFK Stadium was cheering out loud.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/10/ ... ars-later/

Interestingly, both Largent and Charlie Joiner (who had the receiving record prior to Largent) had records in the same Monday NIght in 1986: Joiner of most receiving yards and Largent for most consecutive games with a reception.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/10/07/sport ... cords.html