NFL Team Nickname logic quiz

Bryan

NFL Team Nickname logic quiz

Post by Bryan »

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Fastballx3 ... gic-puzzle

See if you can do this. The quiz is from the end of the 2013 season, so the last Super Bowl in the quiz is the Seahawks defeating the Broncos. It took me a few times to correctly do this. I got stuck in a few instances where I had to guess between a couple teams, and I guessed wrong...I am thinking that it is a deficiency of the quiz itself, but perhaps I am just being dense. Interesting nonetheless.
superbowlfanatic

Re: NFL Team Nickname logic quiz

Post by superbowlfanatic »

It is very good - but you are correct - you do hit a couple of roadblocks where you have to make a guess between 2 or 3 teams. So it's not perfect.
But it combines 2 of my favorite things - logic puzzles and Super Bowl trivia!
Thanks for sharing!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

ahhh Sporcle. I love that site. I have a bunch of quizzes on there if anyone wants to give them a shot.

http://www.sporcle.com/user/cbobcat49/contributed
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Interesting-- I got 19 out of 32 before time ran out. I'll have to say, this is more about logic than being able to remember the exact answer to all these questions, so verifying your facts won't guarantee a win. However, it will stop you from losing more quickly.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

superbowlfanatic wrote:It is very good - but you are correct - you do hit a couple of roadblocks where you have to make a guess between 2 or 3 teams. So it's not perfect.
But it combines 2 of my favorite things - logic puzzles and Super Bowl trivia!
Thanks for sharing!
Actually, it turns out that you don't have to make a guess on any of these-- there's a logical reason for each of the teams to be located in a particular box to the exclusion of all others. I had a lapse where the clue was that the Kansas City Chiefs share a diagonal with the other Missouri team-- I knew it was an NFC West team from the other clues, and I just knew that the current St. Louis team was called the Cardinals. WRONG!!! Had to start all over.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Actually, it turns out that you don't have to make a guess on any of these-- there's a logical reason for each of the teams to be located in a particular box to the exclusion of all others. I had a lapse where the clue was that the Kansas City Chiefs share a diagonal with the other Missouri team-- I knew it was an NFC West team from the other clues, and I just knew that the current St. Louis team was called the Cardinals. WRONG!!! Had to start all over.
I got stuck early on where I knew the Rams and Cardinals had to go in A5 and A6, but had to guess on the exact boxes. The whole A5/B6/C6/C7 series seemed based on which order you completed them, but it was somewhat random in that you weren't forced to complete them in the proper order. I'll have to try it again.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:ahhh Sporcle. I love that site. I have a bunch of quizzes on there if anyone wants to give them a shot.

http://www.sporcle.com/user/cbobcat49/contributed

Thanks. I've taken some of your alphabetical quizzes...its funny how the time limit factor makes you forget some rather obvious choices, like John Gilliam.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Here's a step by Step rundown on how to do this, just to show that there is never any need to guess at any point during the puzzle:

According to the Seahawk clue the most recent AFC champ (the Ravens) was in the same row with the Seahawks, and since they are in the corner their spot is D1.

The Raven clue tells us that column 8 is made up of all Northern teams in both conferences. The Packers were the most recent Northern Super Bowl champion, so they go in the corner at D8.

The Giants, the remaining Super Bowl winner of the last four years, go in the remaining corner slot, A8. The Packer clue puts the Colts in B1.

The Colt clue states that row 4 is made up of the last four SB losers. Since the Steelers are the one Northern team of this group, their spot is D4.

The Steeler clue tells as that the two Texas teams round out row 8. The Cowboys are the NFC East team, so they go in B8, leaving C8 to the Texans.

The Cowboy clue places the Broncos in C4. They are the team with the most Super Bowl losses and also one of the last four Super Bowl losers, so they go next to the Steelers in the row.

The Bronco clue establishes the Lions at D7, being a Northern team and having lost their last game to the Packers in '08.

The Lion clue places the 49ers at A4 as they are the NFC West team among the last four SB losers. The lone slot in row 4 can now be filled by the Patriots, the last of that group.

In regards to the 49er clue: The Rams cannot be in A7 because that slot belongs to an NFC East team, so the Dolphins are NOT in C3. That leaves their only possible slot at C5 to still be next to the Steelers as specified in the Texan clue.

The Dolphin clue places the Browns (a Northern team) in D2. The Browns placement fills up one diagonal with the Patriots, this means the other Ohio team (the Bengals, also a Northern team) must be in the other column D diagonal, D6.

The Bengal clue tells us Michael Vicks first two teams are in row A. This not only places the Eagles, an NFC East team in A7, but allows us to determine that the remaining NFC East team, the Redskins, go in B7.

The Eagle clue tells us that Brett Favre's three teams besides the Packers (the Falcons, Jets and Vikings) go in row 3. Since Vick and Favre shared a team, this allows us to easily place the Falcons at A3. The Vikings, Favre's Northern team then go in D3.

We now know (per the Falcon clue) that the Jets and Bills share a row. Since the Jets are one of Favre's teams, this must be row 3. The Browns clue places the Bills at C3, which means that the Jets are left with the slot at C2. The Browns clue also enables us to place the Titans at C2.

The only remaining column D slot then goes to the Bears, the only remaining Northern team.

The Bear clue, in conjunction with the Viking clue, place the Saints in B2.

The Saint clue tells us to place the Raiders next to the 49ers. The only available slot to do so is B5, as A5 belongs to either the Rams or Cardinals (as per the Jets and Lions clue).

The Raider clue places the Buccaneers (the remaining 1-0 Super Bowl team) at B6 and the Jaguars at C6.

The Jaguar clue places the Chiefs at C7.

The Chief clue places the Rams at A5 and the Cardinals at A6.

The Ram clue tells us that the Panthers, the only remaining NFC South team, cannot be in C1, so they must be in the only other slot left on the board, B2.

Now we have only one remaining team, the Chargers. And so they go into the only remaining slot, C1.

Voila!
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The Redskins clue is the first of several that are not terribly helpful-- it says "Redskins!" But I'll have to admit, that was a perfectly logical statement.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Here is another doozy, featuring SB QBs. I eventually figured it out, but it took me a long time and several attempts. My advice would be to write down the list of the 25 QBs who comprise the "grid"...I had to do this to figure out who goes where.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/lkalliance ... gic-puzzle