BILLS vs Niners '81 (Pontiac)

74_75_78_79_

BILLS vs Niners '81 (Pontiac)

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Being that Buffalo actually came close to toppling Cincy in the '81 divisionals, how do you all think things turn out Jan 24 in Detroit if, perhaps, they spin that close loss vs Cincy into a close win then repeat what they did Week #14 at the Murph the following week? I personally think Niners still prevail no matter what but do you all think Buffalo, especially with a healthy Fergie, makes it a more suspenseful game? Even if it means losing by more than 5 points but at least not letting SF open up a 20-pt-lead, staying close on the scoreboard each and every quarter.

When you hear Fouts talk about losing in the Freezer Bowl, I get the vibe that he implies that the better team didn't win that day. In reality, however, Buffalo has a much better case as far as being the AFC team in '81 who "should have" passed Cincy in the playoffs. Bills also barely lost their regular season game vs Cincy whereas Bengals trounced SD at the Murph along with doing the same in front of their fans the following January.

I really don't understand why everyone (including NFL Network) seems to anoint the 6-loss/barely made playoffs '81 installment ('America's Game) as the 'centerpiece' of the Coryell years in SD. Like most 3rd movies in a trilogy, it's the weakest installment! Especially being that Fred Dean was no longer with them.
BD Sullivan

Re: BILLS vs Niners '81 (Pontiac)

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I really don't understand why everyone (including NFL Network) seems to anoint the 6-loss/barely made playoffs '81 installment ('America's Game) as the 'centerpiece' of the Coryell years in SD. Like most 3rd movies in a trilogy, it's the weakest installment! Especially being that Fred Dean was no longer with them.
They're probably deluded into how they were able to win the epic game in Miami, plus the fact that three of those losses were by a combined six points. In addition, that season got off on a rousing note in the Monday night road slaughter (44-7) of Cleveland that everyone saw. Of course, those same people likely forget that the Miami game was almost a choke for the ages, given that they had a 24-0 lead in the first quarter.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:When you hear Fouts talk about losing in the Freezer Bowl, I get the vibe that he implies that the better team didn't win that day.
I agree that the Chargers don't have much of a case, considering that they lost to Cincy at home in the 1981 regular season. I do think the weather really affected the Chargers in the Freezer Bowl, but that's postseason football (although there was a Belichick-type scandal where Riverfront officials would open the stadium doors when the Chargers were on offense, then close them when the Bengals were on offense). Its interesting that the Freezer Bowl rematch in 1982 would have the Chargers offense rack up one of the highest single game yardage totals in history (661 yards, leading to 50 points).
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

That would have been an interesting Super Bowl. The Bills actually had more offensive talent than SF, with Cribbs, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, Ron Jessie, and Mark Brammer as Ferguson's weapons. This team would be picked to win the SB the next season by SPORT Magazine.

I think that the 49ers still pull it out, though, but they don't jump out to a big lead. 24-20 49ers.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Had "The Catch" never happened, or the Niners not used the horse collar tackle on Pearson, the matchup could have very easily have been Dallas and Buffalo--11 years before their first SB meeting.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

BD Sullivan wrote:Had "The Catch" never happened, or the Niners not used the horse collar tackle on Pearson, the matchup could have very easily have been Dallas and Buffalo--11 years before their first SB meeting.
Dallas beat Bills MNF in '81 at Big D. Anyone remember any details from that contest?

As for an SD/SF Pontiac what-if from '81, does the following year's quasi-'classic' between them serve any indication?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:Had "The Catch" never happened, or the Niners not used the horse collar tackle on Pearson, the matchup could have very easily have been Dallas and Buffalo--11 years before their first SB meeting.
Dallas beat Bills MNF in '81 at Big D. Anyone remember any details from that contest?
Buffalo led 14-7 at the half and Ferguson was shredding the Cowboy secondary for 224 yards. However, on the first play of the second half, Dorsett scored on a 73-yard pass and Dallas went on to notch 20 points for the quarter to win 27-14. Ferguson had just 77 yards after the break and threw at least three of his four interceptions on the night in those last two quarters.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I think it would have been asking a lot of any team coached by Chuck Knox to win three games on the road to get to a SB.

Forrest Gregg won the only two playoff games he would ever win as coach by beating Chuck Knox and Don Coryell at home. Too bad George Allen was no longer active.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

BD Sullivan wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Buffalo led 14-7 at the half and Ferguson was shredding the Cowboy secondary for 224 yards. However, on the first play of the second half, Dorsett scored on a 73-yard pass and Dallas went on to notch 20 points for the quarter to win 27-14. Ferguson had just 77 yards after the break and threw at least three of his four interceptions on the night in those last two quarters.
I remember that Joe Cribbs threw a halfback option TD pass to Curtis Brown, and as you've said, rookies Everson Walls and Michael Downs picked Ferguson in the second half.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Speaking of the 1981 Bills, their wildcard playoff win against the Jers at Shea Stadium was IMHO one of the top wildcard games of all time when it were only 5 teams per conference to qualify to the playoffs. Bill Simpson intercepted Richard Todd at the end of the game to preserve a 31-27 victory.