QB Slide Rule

Reaser

Re: QB Slide Rule

Post by Reaser »

Andrew McKillop wrote:Maybe it's time to bring back the "Slide Rule" Bowl for nostalgia's sake.
https://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/ ... rule-bowl/
Good stuff, Andrew. I'd never heard of that, or if I have I don't remember.

Interesting, plus I liked reading something about Milton.
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Reaser wrote:
Andrew McKillop wrote:Maybe it's time to bring back the "Slide Rule" Bowl for nostalgia's sake.
Good stuff, Andrew. I'd never heard of that, or if I have I don't remember.

Interesting, plus I liked reading something about Milton.
Thanks! One of these days I'd like to dig deeper into the football history of Milton. The Dave Krieg years would be especially interesting.

Lakeland College also improbably produced a longtime NFL veteran. Can anybody name this RB/TE?
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Interesting fact about the only two Milton alum to play in the NFL - both played for the Seahawks, and both were named "Dave" and had a lat name that began with "Kr-" (the other was defensive lineman Dave Krayfield).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Andrew McKillop wrote:Lakeland College also improbably produced a longtime NFL veteran. Can anybody name this RB/TE?
I swear I did not Google this...is it Pat Curran? I remember looking this up a long time ago when my "highly-acclaimed" high school football career earned me a 'recruiting' letter to play football at Lakeland.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

A very cool site! And so is Football Geography. How have I missed these sites?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Todd Pence wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:Quarterbacks Frank Ryan of Cleveland and Charley Johnson of St. Louis were both skilled in the use of the slide rule. By the end of the 1970s, however, the electronic calculator made the slide rule obsolete.
Damnit Mark, you beat me to it. I was just going to make the exact same joke, but my examples were going to be Frank Ryan and Virgil Carter.
Sorry-- as the old saying goes, great minds think alike.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Interesting stuff, and I'd never heard of it before. In your narrative, you noted that to make up for there being 11-minute quarters instead of 15-minute quarters, the press reported that "4/15ths of the averaged statistic was added to the final number". But if they were playing eight of those 11-minute quarters (four on Friday, four on Saturday) I'd figure that the stats would have had to have been adjusted from 88 minutes to 60 minutes, so they should have subtracted three-tenths (18/60ths or 3/10), so that if a guy rushed 100 yards in 88 minutes, it was an average of 70 yards for 60 minutes. I can't figure out why they had 11-minute quarters anyway, other than to give the fans something more than a 30-minute game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Andrew McKillop wrote:Lakeland College also improbably produced a longtime NFL veteran. Can anybody name this RB/TE?
At first, I was thinking of the community college with the same name that's right near my home. From 1982-91, it served as the training camp for the Browns, since Art Modell lived right nearby. After one year there, Belichick's control-freak image took hold, moving the camp to the team's then-new complex where it remains today.
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Bryan wrote:
I swear I did not Google this...is it Pat Curran? I remember looking this up a long time ago when my "highly-acclaimed" high school football career earned me a 'recruiting' letter to play football at Lakeland.
You're right! Lakeland still casts a wide net when recruiting. I once saw their scouts looking for players at an amateur adult league baseball game.
rhickok1109 wrote:
A very cool site! And so is Football Geography. How have I missed these sites?
Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad that you found the sites interesting.
Mark L. Ford wrote:
Interesting stuff, and I'd never heard of it before. In your narrative, you noted that to make up for there being 11-minute quarters instead of 15-minute quarters, the press reported that "4/15ths of the averaged statistic was added to the final number". But if they were playing eight of those 11-minute quarters (four on Friday, four on Saturday) I'd figure that the stats would have had to have been adjusted from 88 minutes to 60 minutes, so they should have subtracted three-tenths (18/60ths or 3/10), so that if a guy rushed 100 yards in 88 minutes, it was an average of 70 yards for 60 minutes. I can't figure out why they had 11-minute quarters anyway, other than to give the fans something more than a 30-minute game.
Your arithmetic makes a lot sense and is more consistent with the idea of two games actually being one. But you can't expect too much logic from schools that both scheduled their homecoming games against each other on the same day. :lol: