Potential Disaster looming in the AFC South and NFC East

sheajets

Potential Disaster looming in the AFC South and NFC East

Post by sheajets »

Meanwhile I sit and stew as the Patriots (a great great team, taking nothing away from their excellence) are going to likely complete a 16-0 regular season.

We could see a 7-9 or 8-8 NFC East Champion

We can legit see a 6-10 AFC South Champion

Living in a division with a perennial bully is no fun. Especially when we, and many other teams, would be class of those divisions.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Potential Disaster looming in the AFC South and NFC East

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I still say you've got to have a winning record to make the playoffs. 8-8 and lower division "champions" should be replaced with a 3rd wild card team.* And then the 3 WC teams become the 4,5,6 seeds.

(*only if there is another team in the conference with a winning record available to take their place.)
Last edited by ChrisBabcock on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I still say you've got to have a winning record to make the playoffs. 8-8 and lower division "champions" should be replaced with a 3rd wild card team.* And then the 3 WC teams become the 4,5,6 seeds.

(*only is there is another team in the conference with a winning record available to take their place.)
That's essentially the same as doing away with divisions altogether.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

That's essentially the same as doing away with divisions altogether.
No. In that scenario division winners get seeds 1-3 and the wild card teams get 4-6 even if some wild card teams have better records than division winners.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

[quote="ChrisBabcock"]I still say you've got to have a winning record to make the playoffs.

I politely disagree. The whole point of the NFL Schedule and Conference/Division setup is to determine the best team in each division. It's not about getting the 12 best teams into the playoffs. It about determining the best team from each division. That's why the schedule is setup so that the teams in the same division all play essentially the same schedule...so that the best can of the 4 can be determined.

Wild card teams are then added to round out the playoffs.

So under this scenario, and because there are only 4 team in each division, there are going to be years where the division winner has a losing record, but they are still the best of the 4. There will also be years where the wild card team might have a losing record, too.

I like it the way it is now. Geography based rivalries!