HOF coaches upset in the postseason

rhickok1109

Re: HOF coaches upset in the postseason

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:Does anybody have any idea what the point spread was on that 1960 game? I doubt that it was considered an upset at the time. Eagles were 10-2, Packers were only 8-4 going in.
I have a database of playoff point spreads, compiled from newspapers the day before the game, and have the Packers listed as a two-point favorite.
Surprising ... but thank you!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I was surprised to see that the Chargers were supposedly 6.5-point favorites for the 1965 AFL title game, considering Buffalo was the defending champion and had a 10-3-1 record compared to 9-3-2 for SD. Yes, the Chargers blew the Bills out, 34-3 in Buffalo in Week 5, but in their rematch on Thanksgiving, it was a 20-20 tie.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MatthewToy wrote:Maybe it's because I was still a newborn when the Steelers played the Broncos in the 77 playoffs but how were they favored in that game? They were an unspectacular 9-5 team going into Mile High where the Broncos were practically unbeatable. Especially that season.
I'm guessing the fact that Pittsburgh had a mountain of playoff experience while this was a new stratosphere for Denver made the oddsmakers offer a more measured take on the game.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:Maybe it's because I was still a newborn when the Steelers played the Broncos in the 77 playoffs but how were they favored in that game? They were an unspectacular 9-5 team going into Mile High where the Broncos were practically unbeatable. Especially that season.
I'm guessing the fact that Pittsburgh had a mountain of playoff experience while this was a new stratosphere for Denver made the oddsmakers offer a more measured take on the game.
Denver was a three-point favorite to beat the Steelers, probably not surprising since the Broncos gave the Steelers a 21-7 smackdown in Denver in early November. The Broncos were playing in their first playoff game before their home crowd, which even then was one of the loudest in the NFL, if I were a betting man I would have bet on the Broncos because I watched it and knew the Steelers didn't have much of a chance.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

We do have to remember that the point spread is actually made by the bettors, not the oddsmakers. There are a lot of Packer fans scattered around the country and they may have tilted the spread on the 1960 game.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The Eagles transition from 1958 doormat to 1960 power is just as remarkable as the Packers...perhaps even more remarkable considering the lack of talent on their roster. The 1960 Eagles were among the worst at running the ball...both starting RBs (Barnes and Dean) averaged 2.7 yards per carry, which is a 1986 Patriots level of futility. The 1960 Eagles were also among the worst at stopping the run...allowing 2200 yards at a 4.9 YPC clip. The 1960 Packers had a prime Taylor and Hornung, who combined for 1700 yards and 24 rushing TDs. If you compare the 1960 Eagles and Packers statistically, the Packers are near the top in the major statistical categories, while the Eagles are in the middle of the pack or near the bottom. The Packers won two less games than Philly, but their point differential is superior as the Eagles won 5 games by less than a touchdown.

If you look at their rosters, the Packers have advantages in every area except the passing game. Van Brocklin to McDonald did result in a score in the 1960 title game, but for the most part the Packers had no problem stopping the Eagles, holding Van Brocklin to 9 completions, causing 3 turnovers, and giving up 13 first downs. The game was decided by the Packers inability to finish off long drives. IIRC they had drives to the Eagles 3, 5, 13, and 13 yard lines and they totaled 6 points on the scoreboard. Two short Hornung FGs, a short FG miss by Hornung, and an unsuccessful 4th down conversion. Kind of odd for the Packers to be unable to punch it in considering they had 29 rushing TDs in 12 games.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:
The Broncos were playing in their first playoff game before their home crowd, which even then was one of the loudest in the NFL, if I were a betting man I would have bet on the Broncos because I watched it and knew the Steelers didn't have much of a chance.
Of course, a decade later, the Saints were 6.5-point favorites in their first playoff game, at home in the noisy din of the Superdome, and got destroyed by the Vikings.