Your nomination for Worst Play Ever?

Ronfitch

Re: Your nomination for Worst Play Ever?

Post by Ronfitch »

Packers' HC Mike Holmgren telling the defense to let Denver score on second down at the Packer one yard line with 1:47 on the clock and two timeouts in the bank of a tied Super Bowl 32.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
Years ago, I read a quote from an anonymous NFL personnel man who said it was very unusual for a team to trade their starting QB to you.
There have been two straight up starting QB for starting QB trades in my lifetime, the Stabler for Pastorini deal and the Orton for Cutler deal. Starting QB's are like the heart and soul of a team and are rarely traded unless they've become too expensive or new ownership or management does not get along with them and has deemed them expendable.
I assume that means you weren't around in 1962 when Milt Plum was traded from Cleveland to Detroit for Jim Ninowski or in '64 when Norm Snead was traded from Washington to Philly for Sonny Jurgensen.
Foles for Bradford . . .
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

In October 1958, the Lions traded Bobby Layne to the Steelers in exchange for Earl Morrall and two high picks (#2 in '59 and #3 in 60).

In March 1967, Daryle Lamonica (and Glenn Bass) went from the Bills to Oakland in exchange for Tom Flores (and Art Powell). The Bills also got a second rounder, while the Raiders got a fifth rounder.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:In October 1958, the Lions traded Bobby Layne to the Steelers in exchange for Earl Morrall and two high picks (#2 in '59 and #3 in 60).

In March 1967, Daryle Lamonica (and Glenn Bass) went from the Bills to Oakland in exchange for Tom Flores (and Art Powell). The Bills also got a second rounder, while the Raiders got a fifth rounder.
Lamonica was still Number Two to Jack Kemp in 1966. Tom Flores was the Raiders starting QB in 1966. Al Davis obviously felt Daryle Lamonica had more potential. After the trade, the Bills said Kemp and Flores would compete for the job in 1967.