Has This Ever Happened?

luckyshow

Re: Has This Ever Happened?

Post by luckyshow »

Canadian College Football Receiver Crashes Hard into Goal Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2200 ... -goal-post

Here's one in the CFL:
https://youtu.be/Pd8l6ItUPRA
Last edited by luckyshow on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

<Don Hutson modernized all sorts of common receiving routes — he was the first to run a slant in a straight line while others did it in rounded fashion — but perhaps his most famous was inventing the post route. At that time, the field goal posts were within the field of play in the end zone, and instead of one bar in the center, there were two wooden posts on each side, just below the uprights, supporting the crossbar. Hutson ran right at the post, grabbed it and slung himself to the other side, where he told the quarterback to throw the ball. All three Cleveland Rams defenders ran past him and he caught it for a touchdown, inventing the “post route.”>
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

luckyshow wrote:<Don Hutson modernized all sorts of common receiving routes — he was the first to run a slant in a straight line while others did it in rounded fashion — but perhaps his most famous was inventing the post route. At that time, the field goal posts were within the field of play in the end zone, and instead of one bar in the center, there were two wooden posts on each side, just below the uprights, supporting the crossbar. Hutson ran right at the post, grabbed it and slung himself to the other side, where he told the quarterback to throw the ball. All three Cleveland Rams defenders ran past him and he caught it for a touchdown, inventing the “post route.”>
I heard that many times growing up in Green Bay and always wondered if it was true or a legend, since nobody ever cited a specific game in which it happened.

Incidentally, the receiver who runs into the goalpost in the video is wearing Hutson's number 14 :)
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Teo wrote:In 1979 Drew Pearson got injured after celebrating a TD against the Giants. I bet Tom Landry wasn't very pleased, even that it was Pearson's third TD catch of the game. He missed his first career game the following week.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82b5d564
Injured during celebration should require lots of extra laps in practice.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

luckyshow wrote:Canadian College Football Receiver Crashes Hard into Goal Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2200 ... -goal-post

Here's one in the CFL:
https://youtu.be/Pd8l6ItUPRA

I wonder why they haven't moved the goal post back as in the NFL?
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
luckyshow wrote:<Don Hutson modernized all sorts of common receiving routes — he was the first to run a slant in a straight line while others did it in rounded fashion — but perhaps his most famous was inventing the post route. At that time, the field goal posts were within the field of play in the end zone, and instead of one bar in the center, there were two wooden posts on each side, just below the uprights, supporting the crossbar. Hutson ran right at the post, grabbed it and slung himself to the other side, where he told the quarterback to throw the ball. All three Cleveland Rams defenders ran past him and he caught it for a touchdown, inventing the “post route.”>
I heard that many times growing up in Green Bay and always wondered if it was true or a legend, since nobody ever cited a specific game in which it happened.

Incidentally, the receiver who runs into the goalpost in the video is wearing Hutson's number 14 :)
For the Packers-Rams game on 11/8/1942, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported:
Hutson raced toward one of the goal posts, grabbed the upright and whirled around it, and as his defender hurtled by, was open to catch Canadeo's straight throw just over the goal line.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

On the 1994 video "100 Greatest Follies," there was one where two unidentified Pittsburgh pass defenders crashed into a goal post.
In one of my favorite books, Pro Football Chronicle, there's a picture at the end of the 1940's section. A defender is running head first into the goal post while apparently trying to tackle a runner who is diving in the end zone. I can't remember who the players were.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

I vaguely remember reading somewhere where Sid Luckman had to cover Hutson as a safety and he ran him into the goal post.

One reason the CFL and other Canadian football doesn't move the goal posts back to the back might have various reasons. The end zone is 25 yards long, front to back. Also, if ball goes out of end zone on a kick that isn't a score, a successful field goal, it is a point for the other team (a single, a rouge). So this would happen more often if goal posts were at the back.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Here's an odd photo from the AAFC, circa 1946
Attachments
BrownsvDons.jpg
BrownsvDons.jpg (82.23 KiB) Viewed 16225 times