Suddenly... It's Gambling!

NWebster

Re: Suddenly... It's Gambling!

Post by NWebster »

Similar to government conspiricies my view is that you're giving Goodell way to much credit. I cannot imagine an organization as inept as the NFL could pull off these sorts of fixes without anybody finding out.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

NWebster wrote:Similar to government conspiricies my view is that you're giving Goodell way to much credit. I cannot imagine an organization as inept as the NFL could pull off these sorts of fixes without anybody finding out.
Well said. As I pointed out on the previous Forum, these characters (owners, coaches, players, administrators) couldn't pull it off without being found out, fighting among themselves, turning on each other, going to the law or the press, etc.

How much money would it take for someone like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady to accept "this isn't your year?" Who provides the money? And how does he make a profit with the huge payoffs all this would require?
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

It'd be hard to swing a cat in Pittsburgh without hitting somebody who still believes, not thinks, believes, that Neil O'Donnell was paid to throw Super Bowl 30.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

MatthewToy wrote:It'd be hard to swing a cat in Pittsburgh without hitting somebody who still believes, not thinks, believes, that Neil O'Donnell was paid to throw Super Bowl 30.
Who paid him? How much more did O'Donnell get by "throwing" Super Bowl 30 than he would have if he'd been the winning QB?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

SixtiesFan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:It'd be hard to swing a cat in Pittsburgh without hitting somebody who still believes, not thinks, believes, that Neil O'Donnell was paid to throw Super Bowl 30.
Who paid him? How much more did O'Donnell get by "throwing" Super Bowl 30 than he would have if he'd been the winning QB?
Plus, it's not as if O'Donnell was in the realm of where Peyton Manning was before that game.
CaptainComeback

Post by CaptainComeback »

The amount of commercials for Draft Kings (which spent more money on advertising this past weekend than any other entity) and FanDuel made me want to punch through every television I was watching . . . while I don't advocate outlawing these daily leagues, I hope there is enough backlash that SOMETHING is done to curtail the advertising . . . a guy can dream, eh?
Steviek

Post by Steviek »

Ditto. I had never heard of draftkings a month ago. Now the sheer volume of commercials just wants me to see them fail because it's become intolerable.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
Plus, it's not as if O'Donnell was in the realm of where Peyton Manning was before that game.
Exactly. I just checked and the Cowboys were favored by 13.5 and only won by 10. This means O'Donnell played well enough for Dallas to not cover the spread.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

NWebster wrote:Similar to government conspiricies my view is that you're giving Goodell way to much credit. I cannot imagine an organization as inept as the NFL could pull off these sorts of fixes without anybody finding out.
I read an article by Donte' Stallworth (the former NFL WR). He writes about politics now. He came to the conclusion that Bush was too much of an idiot to be behind any 911 Conspiracy.

People like to hang on to these theories, though. And, after listening to that Sports Junkies broadcast again, there was another one that was brought up: That the NFL may have fixed the 2010 Saint-Seattle WC game for the Seahawks so that the re-alignment issue would go away.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
People like to hang on to these theories, though. And, after listening to that Sports Junkies broadcast again, there was another one that was brought up: That the NFL may have fixed the 2010 Saint-Seattle WC game for the Seahawks so that the re-alignment issue would go away.
Which would again be a ridiculous conspiracy to hype since I don't know why ANYBODY would care about re-alignment that much.