1977 Steelers

CSKreager

1977 Steelers

Post by CSKreager »

In between the Steel Curtain's 4 SB's in 6 years were the teams that didn't quite grab that brass ring.

We know about the exploits of the 1976 Steelers (Ungodly defensive stats, 9 straight wins after a 1-4 start, all those shutouts- I've heard some say it's the best team in franchise history), but what about the '77 team?

They didn't have quite the back story nor the insane defensive numbers of '76. And their playoff loss at Denver doesn't have the same bitterness of those Oakland or Miami losses.

They got back on track the following 2 years, but this was actually the one time between 1974-1980 Pittsburgh did not reach an AFC Championship Game. (and to an extent, no Miami either- and if not for the Ghost to the Post, no Raiders either)

So what happened in '77 and how do they stack up with the '76 team?
BD Sullivan

Re: 1977 Steelers

Post by BD Sullivan »

Preseason distractions with Chuck Noll being sued for the "criminal element" comment about George Atkinson and the Raiders got things off on the wrong note.

They had their problems in road games, closing with a 3-4 mark. Two of those wins came by three points against a lousy Jets team and by one point in the regular season finale at San Diego that they suddenly needed to win when the Bengals choked in Houston.

In the loss to the Raiders, Bradshaw and the OL stunk, throwing three picks and allowing five sacks for 51 yards, respectively. Two weeks later, both Bradshaw and Kruczek got knocked out of the game, Bradshaw breaking his wrist before coming out at halftime. Tony Dungy had to play at QB in the fourth quarter, and committed a huge blunder on his third play: he fumbled the snap deep in Steelers territory, and Houston ran it in for a score that turned a 17-10 game into 24-10.

In the loss to the Colts, they had to deal with a Colts team looking for revenge for getting stomped the year before in the playoffs; the following week, they had to go to suddenly resurgent Denver and got shut down, 21-7, their only score coming late in the game down by 21.

Their final loss came in an early version of the Freezer Bowl against Cincy. The Steelers had a chance to win it late, but lost the ball on downs.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I never knew Dungy played QB in a game for the 'Burgh. Would love to see that game. I thought '78 was his rookie year and only year as a Steeler. Going to SF in '79 , I guess, would make him the only one to ever play for both Noll and Walsh.

'77 Steelers were simply a mere playoff team. It was the calm before their second storm upon the league. A shot-in-the-arm/re-invention is what they needed and '78 is what the doctor ordered. FWIW, they did beat SB-champ-to-be Dallas that year, at least. They also gave Eddie quite an intro to the league on opening day.

I remember reading a '78 preview in the library long ago (microfiche). I forgot the source, it was one of the sports mags. The Steelers were called 'old' (or old-ER, at least) and now past championship form. Had the famous rule changes not occurred for they to capitalize on, perhaps they would have been right.

Or maybe not, who knows? Not as much Terry-to-Swann/Terry-to-Stallworth heroics (Terry's legacy, according to the masses, may not have ended up gaining the ground it did), but the D especially with its depth would certainly have been even stronger. Maybe another '76-like season, or two, to close the decade.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

To add to the preseason distractions were Jack Lambert and I believe Glen Edwards holding out. Plus in the "criminal element" trial Chuck Noll was forced to admit that players on the Steelers could fall under the same header like Mel Blount which really displeased him and probably made for an awkward locker room.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I never knew Dungy played QB in a game for the 'Burgh. Would love to see that game. I thought '78 was his rookie year and only year as a Steeler. Going to SF in '79 , I guess, would make him the only one to ever play for both Noll and Walsh.

'77 Steelers were simply a mere playoff team. It was the calm before their second storm upon the league. A shot-in-the-arm/re-invention is what they needed and '78 is what the doctor ordered. FWIW, they did beat SB-champ-to-be Dallas that year, at least. They also gave Eddie quite an intro to the league on opening day.

I remember reading a '78 preview in the library long ago (microfiche). I forgot the source, it was one of the sports mags. The Steelers were called 'old' (or old-ER, at least) and now past championship form. Had the famous rule changes not occurred for they to capitalize on, perhaps they would have been right.

Or maybe not, who knows? Not as much Terry-to-Swann/Terry-to-Stallworth heroics (Terry's legacy, according to the masses, may not have ended up gaining the ground it did), but the D especially with its depth would certainly have been even stronger. Maybe another '76-like season, or two, to close the decade.
As they did in 1976, the Steelers came up on the right side of tiebreakers to Cincinnati. I doubt Cincinnati would have fared any better against the Broncos in the playoffs. After the high of the 1976 season, I think a dropoff in 1977 was inevitable.

I remember Dungy was the answer to a trivia question (I don't know if he still applies as the only one) of being the only player since the merger to intercept a pass and throw an interception in the same game.

By the end of the 1977 season, Bradshaw only had one really good season statistically, 1975, when he had a TD-INT ratio of 18-9. In 1976 and 1977 he was injured both seasons, so if he could stay healthy, the sky was the limit. I think by 1978, rules changes or no rules changes, he had matured and was ready to put all his tools together and I think Noll and the coaching staff could see it. With two very good receivers in Swann and Stallworth, and Harris and Bleier anchoring an already strong rushing game, along with the Steel Curtain, 1978 was destined to be a very good year in Pittsburgh provided Number 12 could avoid the injury bug.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The Lambert holdout is indicative of how things have changed: the Steelers were offering him $100,000, but he wanted double that, since that was what Bill Bergey was supposedly getting from the Eagles.

The Steeler players Noll mentioned as "criminals" like Greene and Holmes laughed off the reference, but Blount went so far as to say he'd never play for Noll again AND said he was going to sue for $5 million. I'm assuming the latter never made it into an actual courtroom.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:The Lambert holdout is indicative of how things have changed: the Steelers were offering him $100,000, but he wanted double that, since that was what Bill Bergey was supposedly getting from the Eagles.

The Steeler players Noll mentioned as "criminals" like Greene and Holmes laughed off the reference, but Blount went so far as to say he'd never play for Noll again AND said he was going to sue for $5 million. I'm assuming the latter never made it into an actual courtroom.
I remember the trial. Raider DB George Atkinson was suing Chuck Noll for defamation. Noll testified about the "criminal element" statement. On cross examination, film was shown of Steeler players; Blount, Greene, Holmes, Lambert, etc delivering cheap shots and vicious hits. Noll had to admit some of his own players were part of the so-called "criminal element."

Atkinson lost the Two Million dollar suit.