ChrisBabcock

Re: NFL Team Logo changes through the years

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I miss that 1980s Jets logo.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Interesting-- if only there was a "pause" button for that display. Am I mistaken, or did Pittsburgh's triple hypocycloid helmet logo say "Steel" during the first year rather than "Steelers"?

The symbol had been developed by the American steel industry itself in 1963, I believe, as a way of identifying a product as being made with real American-manufactured steel, and the football team got the okay to use it, but I think they had to get permission to alter it. I've read that the logo was first seen at the Playoff Bowl as an addition to the Steelers' yellow-gold helmets that they wore in those days, before they reversed the gold-black color scheme.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I miss that 1980s Jets logo.
Agreed. As for their unis, the ones that they started wearing in 1990 were the nicest, with the black facemask and green pants.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Interesting-- if only there was a "pause" button for that display. Am I mistaken, or did Pittsburgh's triple hypocycloid helmet logo say "Steel" during the first year rather than "Steelers"?

The symbol had been developed by the American steel industry itself in 1963, I believe, as a way of identifying a product as being made with real American-manufactured steel, and the football team got the okay to use it, but I think they had to get permission to alter it. I've read that the logo was first seen at the Playoff Bowl as an addition to the Steelers' yellow-gold helmets that they wore in those days, before they reversed the gold-black color scheme.
It was in 62 when the Steelers adopted that logo and they only wore it in their helmets for the last few games of that season including the Playoff Bowl. That being said it should've been on there.