NFL Senior Finalists Question

bachslunch

Re: NFL Senior Finalists Question

Post by bachslunch »

BD Sullivan wrote:Speedie was nominated in 1983, but obviously didn't get elected, the only senior candidate from 1981-87 to suffer that fate. Since Paul Brown was still around in a prominent role with the Bengals, I wondering if his still-raging animosity toward Speedie was enough to sway enough voters.

Here are the senior nominees that have been nominated and still await election:

1972-Ole Haugsrud
1979 & 2008-Marshall Goldberg
1983-Speedie
1988-Lou Rymkus
1992-Willie Galimore
1993 & 2012-Dick Stanfel
1997-Jerry Kramer
I'd support Speedie and Stanfel for the HoF, though you have to be okay with short career guys here -- which I am, especially for those from the 50s and before. Also in favor of Kramer, and could be persuaded on Rymkus. Not in favor of Goldberg or Galimore, and am having a tough time understanding how they even got nominated with all the other clearly deserving snubs out there. Unsure about the case for Haugsrud -- can someone elaborate?
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Shrevedude » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:04 pm
"... I didn't see either of those names on the links you posted a while back, Old Cape Cod, though I may be wrong..."

The individual names would probably NOT be in the title of a thread.
You would have to check a thread that is related to the topic and then look among the posts.
Remember also that some of these threads - maybe more than some - veer or are steered off-course and continue so.
A "pain" - Yes; but thank those that permitted the trashing of a lot of our old data.
This weekend, the remaining 150-odd threads will be scanned (visually) to see if something recognizable is there.
If so, it will be posted.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

bachslunch wrote:I'd support Speedie and Stanfel for the HoF, though you have to be okay with short career guys here -- which I am, especially for those from the 50s and before.
Watching film on Stanfel I'd say he was more good than great. His 'honors' don't really match what you see (and obviously you're aware of the odd all-pro selection) ...
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

bachslunch wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:Speedie was nominated in 1983, but obviously didn't get elected, the only senior candidate from 1981-87 to suffer that fate. Since Paul Brown was still around in a prominent role with the Bengals, I wondering if his still-raging animosity toward Speedie was enough to sway enough voters.

1972-Ole Haugsrud
1983-Speedie
1988-Lou Rymkus
1992-Willie Galimore
1993 & 2012-Dick Stanfel
1997-Jerry Kramer
I'd support Speedie and Stanfel for the HoF, though you have to be okay with short career guys here -- which I am, especially for those from the 50s and before. Also in favor of Kramer, and could be persuaded on Rymkus. Not in favor of Goldberg or Galimore, and am having a tough time understanding how they even got nominated with all the other clearly deserving snubs out there. Unsure about the case for Haugsrud -- can someone elaborate?
I wonder if Willie Galimore was nominated due to his highlight film. If you went by that criteria, his contemporary Jon Arnett would qualify.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

SixtiesFan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:

1972-Ole Haugsrud
1983-Speedie
1988-Lou Rymkus
1992-Willie Galimore
1993 & 2012-Dick Stanfel
1997-Jerry Kramer
I wonder if Willie Galimore was nominated due to his highlight film. If you went by that criteria, his contemporary Jon Arnett would qualify.
Two questions: How much did Galimore's untimely demise affect his chances, and would the Bears have gone in another direction (or even had the chance) in the 1965 draft regarding Mr. Sayers.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Reaser wrote:
bachslunch wrote:I'd support Speedie and Stanfel for the HoF, though you have to be okay with short career guys here -- which I am, especially for those from the 50s and before.
Watching film on Stanfel I'd say he was more good than great. His 'honors' don't really match what you see (and obviously you're aware of the odd all-pro selection) ...
Looked at Ken's film study website and the grade/comments for Stanfel are indeed at just "very good" level. The 50s era guards with HoF cases, in short;

Dick Stanfel: 5/4/50s, 7.5 grade
Bruno Banducci: 5/1/none, 7.5 grade
Dick Barwegan: 5/4/50s, 7.8 grade
Jim Ray Smith: 4/5/none, 7.9 grade
Duane Putnam: 5/5/none, no grade yet

Stan Jones is the only guard in the Hall from that period with a 4/7/none profile. No idea how he fares in film study.

Of those you and Ken graded, Smith has the best case using this criterion. Barwegan fares next best, but his career is really short, which is a problem for Banducci and Stanfel as well. Would be interested to see how Putnam grades out. Looks like no other guards from the time are likely to get elected.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Shrevedude » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 pm
"Does anyone remember any of the Senior Candidate Finalists that have been considered since 2013 that are not on this list? I got this list from some web site:..."

The weekend scan of the not-yet-posted threads from the old forum proved negative.
There is only one thread remaining that concerns HoF and / or Senior stuff and the four posts relate to the Klecko matter.
So... unless you have already done so, the suggestion is to scroll back and check the following threads which are here:

Predictions for HoF Class of 2015
State Your Case: Mick Tingelhoff
HoF senior vote date
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister