7 Worst Head Coaches Ever - HA!

BD Sullivan

Re: 7 Worst Head Coaches Ever - HA!

Post by BD Sullivan »

SixtiesFan wrote:Tommy Prothro was known for his supposedly high intelligence.
I recall reading an article about Prothro discussing how the Chargers were able to get such a haul in the 1975 Draft, with Tommy explaining that it was numbers-based and using a lot of other math-oriented philosophies.

Sadly for the Browns, those skills led him to trade down six spots with the Chargers in the 1979 Draft: the Chargers selected Kellen Winslow and the Browns drafted (drumroll)...Willis Adams and Sam Claphan. :roll: Of course, the new Browns (led by Butch Davis) decided to try and rectify that blunder by drafting the Old Soldier himself, Kellen Winslow, Jr. :roll: :roll:
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I have to nominate Scooter McLean for this dubious honor. Not only did he "guide" the Packers to their worst record ever, he did it with a roster that included Dan Currie, Bobby Dan Dillon, Bill Forester, Forrest Gregg, Hank Gremminger, Dave Hanner, Paul Hornung, Billy Howton, Gary Knafelc, Jerry Kramer, Norm Masters, Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Jim Ringo, Bart Starr, John Symank, and Jim Taylor.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

One coach I think is missing is Ed Biles. He was horrendous in Houston after Bum Phillips left (9-22 from 1981-1983, resigning late that season), I don't even remember if got another job afterwards.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Don't think I've seen Rick Venturi's name anywhere...2-17 in stints with the Colts and Saints, although it may be he replaced coaches who were fired mid-season to ride out the season as the dreaded interim coach on lousy, demoralized teams.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:One coach I think is missing is Ed Biles. He was horrendous in Houston after Bum Phillips left (9-22 from 1981-1983, resigning late that season), I don't even remember if got another job afterwards.
Nope, unless you count two low-rent indoor football leagues more than 20 years later. During that long hiatus, he was a football color man on Texas high school games and some bowl contests (Bluebonnet Bowl?)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:Tommy Prothro was known for his supposedly high intelligence.
I recall reading an article about Prothro discussing how the Chargers were able to get such a haul in the 1975 Draft, with Tommy explaining that it was numbers-based and using a lot of other math-oriented philosophies.

Sadly for the Browns, those skills led him to trade down six spots with the Chargers in the 1979 Draft: the Chargers selected Kellen Winslow and the Browns drafted (drumroll)...Willis Adams and Sam Claphan. :roll: Of course, the new Browns (led by Butch Davis) decided to try and rectify that blunder by drafting the Old Soldier himself, Kellen Winslow, Jr. :roll: :roll:
This wasn't from the article I noted, but gives a little info on Prothro's drafting style. It's online from 2007 in the SD Union-Tribune:

"Prothro, who died in 1995, had a sense for how to operate within the draft. He pieced together studies relating to it in which he would compute whether having, say, a first-and a fifth-round choice was more useful than having a second and three fourths."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Shipley wrote:Don't think I've seen Rick Venturi's name anywhere...2-17 in stints with the Colts and Saints, although it may be he replaced coaches who were fired mid-season to ride out the season as the dreaded interim coach on lousy, demoralized teams.
I loved Rick Venturi. His head coaching record in college football is equally impressive...1-31-1 at Northwestern.