Darryl Stingley question

JoeZagorski

Darryl Stingley question

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys:
On September 3rd, 1979, The Steelers beat the Patriots on Monday Night Football. But during that night, the game was stopped for what seemed like ten minutes to acknowledge the appearance of Darryl Stingley in the press box. My question: Does anyone know what quarter the standing ovation for Stingley occurred in, and how long (in minutes) the ovation lasted? Thanks for your help regarding this.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Ronfitch

Re: Darryl Stingley question

Post by Ronfitch »

Joe Zagorski wrote:Hey Guys:
On September 3rd, 1979, The Steelers beat the Patriots on Monday Night Football. But during that night, the game was stopped for what seemed like ten minutes to acknowledge the appearance of Darryl Stingley in the press box. My question: Does anyone know what quarter the standing ovation for Stingley occurred in, and how long (in minutes) the ovation lasted? Thanks for your help regarding this.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Second quarter, according to an article on the Patriot's site:

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/ ... 2839F78457

There is a MNF clip about Stingley including footage of the ovation, but not in it's entirety nor a mention of how long it lasted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVPG__40MAk
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks Ron!
Joe Zagorski
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I have a question: did the Patriots brought Harold Jackson from the Rams after Stingley's injury or before? The thoughts of those two with Stanley Morgan in the same team would've been something.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I believe that it was after Stingley's injury.

Joe Zagorski
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I believe that it was after Stingley's injury.

Joe Zagorski
It was in direct response to Stingley's August 12 injury. The Pats announced the deal four days later.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I believe that it was after Stingley's injury.

Joe Zagorski
And the 1978 Patriots set a record that still stands with 3,165 yards rushing for the season. Although they did not have a 1,000 yard rusher, the Pats did have four rushers who went over 500 yards, which I think may make them the only team ever to accomplish that feat.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen