Is there a Pro Bowl this year?

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Is there a Pro Bowl this year?

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Say, in all the talk about the New England Deflatriots and the upcoming Super Bowl, I haven't heard any mention of it. I think that there's usually a game called the Pro Bowl that's now held on the Sunday in between playoffs and the big game. Teams of all-stars are picked and they go through the motions in a game-like scrimmage in Honolulu, as a few bleachers worth of witnesses watch. I won't ask "does anybody care?" but "does anybody know?"
Gary Najman

Re: Is there a Pro Bowl this year?

Post by Gary Najman »

This year the Pro Bowl will be in Phoenix and with the captains format of the past year (no Conferences) and those ugly-colored uniforms. Only interesting thing is that the game will be at night, so maybe I'll catch a little.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

That's strange that they will be tearing up that field (not that fields get much of a "tearing up" from the action in a Pro Bowl) a week before it has to be ready for the Super Bowl. I would have figured that the groundskeepers would need more time to paint the end zones and the rest of the gridiron for the Seahawks and Patriots and the entire show.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Mark L. Ford wrote:That's strange that they will be tearing up that field (not that fields get much of a "tearing up" from the action in a Pro Bowl) a week before it has to be ready for the Super Bowl. I would have figured that the groundskeepers would need more time to paint the end zones and the rest of the gridiron for the Seahawks and Patriots and the entire show.
I believe they are playing the Pro Bowl at Sun Devil Stadium which is in Phoenix. The Super Bowl is in Glendale.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Suprisingly, it will be at Glendale

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0ap300 ... eday-guide

It doesn't make much sense, but then again, very little about the Pro Bowl makes much sense. They will be doing some rules variations again-- narrower space (14 feet) between the goal posts and extra points lined up at the 15, and this year it's the Irvins against the Carters.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

That is dopey then. I heard someone on TV or radio mention Phoenix so I assumed Sun Devil Stadium
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

It's got a lot of attention on NFL Network, including the "Pro Bowl Draft" which I once again watched (at least it wasn't as long this year) because it's football related and it was on TV. Has to be the most tedious football related content to get through though, for numerous reasons. Though maybe I've just noticed the Pro Bowl hype and coverage because one of my TV's is always on NFL Network?

People complained anyways so not sure this point matters, but when the Pro Bowl was played after the Super Bowl, AFC v. NFC, it was a major event on the football calender. Quality of the game aside, it was the "Pro Bowl", final chance to see football being played that season, NFL Network used to even show the practices live and have coverage all week. That doesn't happen anymore.

NFL Network shows the Senior Bowl practices during the week, which those are great and I watched every minute of coverage, it's just 'funny' that college ASG practices have more importance and relevance than the Pro Bowl - and the Senior Bowl game itself, too.

edit: Wish the Super Bowl was in Sun Devil. Always liked that field and stadium, a teammate and I were walking by once and the gate was open and we walked in and there was staff around but no one said anything so we went on the field and threw the ball around for about 15 minutes, then went into the stands and pretty much walked the entire stadium. Good times.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Teo wrote:This year the Pro Bowl will be in Phoenix and with the captains format of the past year (no Conferences) and those ugly-colored uniforms. Only interesting thing is that the game will be at night, so maybe I'll catch a little.
Those uniforms make it look like an Oregon-Maryland game.