NFLgames postponed or moved due to weather

ChrisBabcock

NFLgames postponed or moved due to weather

Post by ChrisBabcock »

There's the distinct possibility that the Bills/Jets game this Sunday will get postponed to Monday night and get played elsewhere. Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Washington.

http://wivb.com/2014/11/20/cuomo-bills- ... right-now/

We've really gotten whallopped here in Buffalo. Some sections of the region are under 5 feet or more. Here in Tonawanda, north of the city, only less than a foot.

I got to thinking about other weather and natural disaster postponing and moving of games. I remember the Eagles/Vikings game from 2010 that got postponed to Tuesday due to FEAR of a snowstorm, that I don't think ever happened, or was at least not as bad as predicted. There was the Metrodome roof collapse from I think that same season, that caused a game to get moved to Detroit. Also, I think it was about 20 years ago, there was a Chargers home game on MNF against the Dolphins that got moved to Sun Devil Stadium. Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego was being used as a staging area to fight wildfires in the area. They let anyone who wanted to attend in for free. Since the stadium was on the Arizona campus, the crowd was mostly drunken college students. :lol:

Then of course there's the 2005 Saints season that got completely altered by Hurricane Katrina.

Any others I can't think of?
mwald

Re: NFLgames postponed or moved due to weather

Post by mwald »

Postponed games in the early days were not that uncommon. Don't have the detail in front of me, but I think a Lions-Dodgers game in 1934 was postponed a day due to weather. I think two games on the same day in 1935 involving Eagles-Redskins and Dodgers-Cardinals were postponed due to heavy rain. I think the 1939 Pro Bowl (played in 1940) was postponed a week. I think the Miami Seahawks' first ever game was postponed due to hurricane.

There are many others.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

2010 Vikings at Eagles game was postponed due to a snowstorm, moved from a Sunday to a Tuesday night. Notable because it was the first Tuesday NFL game since 1946.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Ronfitch wrote:2010 Vikings at Eagles game was postponed due to a snowstorm, moved from a Sunday to a Tuesday night. Notable because it was the first Tuesday NFL game since 1946.
I think the Chargers game that was relocated in Arizona, it was a MNF game, was from 2004. They gave free tickets if you brought canned food for the relief effort.

If memory serves, a 49ers game had to be moved to Stanford Stadium because of the 1989 World Series earthquake.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
LJP

Post by LJP »

The 1932 "Championship Game" between the Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans was moved from Wrigley Field to Chicago Stadium because of heavy snow.

The 1941 (04-Jan-1942) Pro Bowl between the Bears and the "National League All-Stars" was moved from the LA Coliseum to the Polo Grounds, because of the attack on Pearl Harbour, and played in the snow instead.

Bears at Vikings in 2010 was moved from the Metrodome to TCF after the roof collapsed under snow. A move that ended Brett Favre's career.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

NFL Network is announcing that the Bills Jets game will not be played Sunday in Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... in-buffalo

This second article says the game will be played in Detroit or Washington:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/20/ ... s-tuesday/
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Detroit or Washington? Wow!!! That's like throwing away money.

There are more New York people in Florida than there are Floridians. Why not Tampon Bay or Jacksonville or even Miami where it would be just like going to Brooklyn or Long Island?

All the Florida teams are on the road. I bet they would come close to a sell-out.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I wonder why Toronto wasn't an option.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

2004, Steelers-Dolphins was moved to a night game because of a hurricane in Florida. It was shortly after the Pittsburgh area got hit with the remnants of Hurricane Ivan and earlier that day I was changing my car battery after being stuck on the other side of town all night. As I was disposing the old battery I was mistaken for Ben Roethlisberger.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The 2010 Vikings-Eagles game was postponed because the worst of the storm was going to hit during what would be late in the game, which would have meant that fans were trying to get home in whiteout weather, with some no doubt having their cars die on the way home. Thus, it became a public safety issue. BTW, a foot of snow was the final count.