Owens choosing not to attend his Hall of Fame induction

rhickok1109

Re: Owens choosing not to attend his Hall of Fame induction

Post by rhickok1109 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I posted the link in response to Ness who said "on trial for rape", but my brain didn't process the "trial" part and I thought of Dave Meggett which is why I googled it right away (hoping it wasn't similar). I really just skimmed the article so I didn't catch much on the first case other than that there was no conviction. For the second case, my impression is the author of the article believed Lofton was targeted because of who he was and again there was no conviction. I think the second case did change the course of his career as there was a another Packer who I believe was convicted of a crime around the same time and for Lofton, I think it lead to the end of his time in Green Bay.
The other Packer was CB Mossy Cade, who was convicted of sexually assaulting his aunt(!) and served a 2-year jail term. He was signed by the Vikings when his sentence ended, but they cut him almost immediately because of the public outcry.

The Cade and Lofton trials actually took place at the same time, in May of 1987, and in the same courthouse. Lofton was acquitted, but the Packers cut him soon afterward.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Lofton was traded (not cut) to Oakland for two draft picks. One was Frankie Neal, who had a promising rookie season before reporting badly out of shape in 1988 and being released.

Owing to immaturity and ego, Lofton made some very poor decisions while with the Packers, and he'd be the first one to tell you so. Having their only marquee player get named in rape cases was sadly typical of the Packers in the mid-1980s.

Fortunately for him, he did some growing up and found himself in an ideal situation at Buffalo. He probably doesn't make it to Canton without his years complementing Andre Reed & co.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Citizen wrote:Lofton was traded (not cut) to Oakland for two draft picks. One was Frankie Neal, who had a promising rookie season before reporting badly out of shape in 1988 and being released.

Owing to immaturity and ego, Lofton made some very poor decisions while with the Packers, and he'd be the first one to tell you so. Having their only marquee player get named in rape cases was sadly typical of the Packers in the mid-1980s.

Fortunately for him, he did some growing up and found himself in an ideal situation at Buffalo. He probably doesn't make it to Canton without his years complementing Andre Reed & co.
Truth.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."