Guess what we have a new league with a CBS contract.

single wing

Re: Guess what we have a new league with a CBS contract.

Post by single wing »

For those players who are not on a NFL training camp roster the AAF is holding 3 open tryouts.

The first event will be on August 4, 2018, at Whittier College in Los Angeles. The second one will be held in Houston on August 18. The third one will be in Atlanta on August 25 and 26. Teams will hold additional group and individual tryouts in their respective markets this fall after the final NFL cuts.
Last edited by single wing on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
single wing

Post by single wing »

As far as Big Ten players, Most Big 12 players, and some ACC schools those players will if in a NFL/CFL camp be assigned by those pro teams rosters... Should one of the players not have ever attended a NFL/CFL camp they are open to be selected by any of the 8 AAF teams.
single wing

Post by single wing »

A little more info has come out.

All players who sign with the AAF will receive a 3 year contract which contains a provision that the player may void the contract should they decide to sign with the NFL.

Each team will be allowed to sign 75 players that will be allowed to attend each teams training camp later this year. The regular season roster will be 50 players per team. As a result each of the 8 teams will have to release 25 players in training camp.
single wing

Post by single wing »

The 4 Eastern teams got their nicknames today.

Memphis Express
Birmingham Iron
Atlanta Legends
Orlando Apollo

San Antonio, Salt Lake, Phoenix (now called Arizona) , and San Diego still have not released their name.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... our-teams/
single wing

Post by single wing »

All team names have been decided

East
Memphis Express
Birmingham Iron
Atlanta Legends
Orlando Apollo

West
Arizona Hotshots
San Diego Fleet
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

single wing wrote:All team names have been decided

East
Memphis Express
Birmingham Iron
Atlanta Legends
Orlando Apollo

West
Arizona Hotshots
San Diego Fleet
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders

Arizona and San Diego have feeble nicknames. Don't know what I'd do about San Diego at the moment, but the Arizona entry should be called the Scorpions.
JWL

Post by JWL »

San Diego Whales should have been the name.
zachary stephen

Post by zachary stephen »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
single wing wrote:All team names have been decided

East
Memphis Express
Birmingham Iron
Atlanta Legends
Orlando Apollo

West
Arizona Hotshots
San Diego Fleet
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders

Arizona and San Diego have feeble nicknames. Don't know what I'd do about San Diego at the moment, but the Arizona entry should be called the Scorpions.
San Diego Seals would make the most sense - especially if the participants will not be kneeling in disrespect.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:San Diego Whales should have been the name.
Nice!

Mildly surprised San Diego didn't go with Armada. San Diego Armada has been the popular "if San Diego gets a NBA/NHL/MLS team they should call them this" choice for at least two decades. I think a rugby team finally took Armada, though. Houston Apollo(s) -of course Orlando has it now- and Locomotives (Locos for short) for any place that you can connect to a train (Atlanta, for example) are two other longtime team name suggestions that I'd always see on expansion/new league forums.

The team names in this league basically look like they came from an early 90's football video game without the NFL license. Really reminds me of "Football Fury" (poor mans Tecmo Bowl) that had teams like the Pittsburgh Metals, Indianapolis Stallions and Dallas Troopers.

Just for how it looks inserted two of those and they don't look out of place, to me.

East
Memphis Express
Birmingham Iron
Pittsburgh Metals
Atlanta Legends
Orlando Apollo

West
Arizona Hotshots
San Diego Fleet
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders
Dallas Troopers

Memphis is the only one that I like and that's probably only because the NBA rejected it and FedEx.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium