A Signature Play in History for each team

Retro Rider

Re: A Signature Play in History for each team

Post by Retro Rider »

Teo wrote:For the post-Namath and Gastineau's Jets, I would chose Jumbo Elliott's diving TD catch in the Monday Night against Miami in 2000. When you talk about great comebacks, that's the play they usually show.
As a fan of the Namath era Jets, I would pick Namath's 52 yard pass completion to Don Maynard against the Raiders in the 1968 AFL Championship as the club's signature play. Trailing 23-20 in the 4th quarter, Maynard made an over-the-shoulder catch which put the New York in position for the winning touchdown at the Oakland 6. The title from Lou Sahadi's 1969 book on the Super Bowl III champs (The Long Pass) was inspired by that particular play. Another (my second choice - also from the '68 AFL title game), would be Ralph Baker's recovery of Daryle Lamonica's lateral pass that was supposed to be a screen to Charlie Smith. The Raiders were driving for a go-ahead score late in the 4th quarter when the play backfired. In a 1980's Football Digest article, Joe Namath called the 1968 AFL Championship his most memorable game ever.

http://miamimigraine.blogspot.com/2007/ ... rt-iv.html
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:You may find that not all eras in a franchise's history may have a signature play. This could also go for a winning or even championship era in a franchise's history. Example - Jimmy Johnson era Dallas. If you want to extend signature play to a full game, then I guess Dallas winning at undefeated SB-Champ-to-be Washington in '91 (hint of greatness to come), but of course Troy was injured that game. There really is no true epitomizing play that stands out in that particular era. Just a young super-talented team that suddenly got great, won 3 Bowls in 4 years and then that was that.
I offer up the the 14 yard pass, 70 yard gain Troy Aikman threw to Harper in the 4th quarter of the 1992 NFC Championship game as the signature play of the Jimmy Johnson era Dallas Cowboys.

This was the famous "print it in 6 inch type - we will win the game" guarantee by Jimmy Johnson game.

The 49ers had just cut Dallas's lead to 24-20 with 4:22 left in the game. 49ers kick off, Dallas gets it at the 21 yard line. Instead of playing it safe, running out the clock, Johnson approves the pass that would ultimately win the game for Dallas.

It was Jimmy Johnson all the way. Aggressive. Confident. Playing to win. Delivering.

(Contrast this with how Mike McCarthy bungled his Packers' lead by playing it safe vs. the Seahawks in this year's playoffs).
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Veeshik_ya wrote:
Bryan wrote:I think a "signature play" should be a moment which best reflects the franchise's overall history, good or bad. When I think of the Saints, I think of Russell Erxleben's "pass" being intercepted by Atlanta and returned for the game-winning TD. When I think of the Vikings, I think of Gary Anderson missing a gimme in the NFC Championship game.
Yes. What is the play(s) that is the essence of the team?

Not including the AFL years, the Bills' franchise is defined by futility. Is there a better play that defines that futility than Norwood's missed FG? It's who they are.
The missed FG is a play that, on its own, is the signature for four consecutive seasons, four consecutive Super Bowl losses. Of all the plays mentioned in the thread, for all the teams, this one leaves a stronger imprint than any except Montana to Clark, and the Ice Bowl TD.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:I think a "signature play" should be a moment which best reflects the franchise's overall history, good or bad. When I think of the Saints, I think of Russell Erxleben's "pass" being intercepted by Atlanta and returned for the game-winning TD. When I think of the Vikings, I think of Gary Anderson missing a gimme in the NFC Championship game.
To me, the signature play for the 1970's LA Rams and particularly for Chuck Knox's 1973-77 time as head coach, was Knox's decision to kick a FG on 4th and inches early in the 1976 NFC Championship game.

The Rams were on the road at Minnesota in freezing weather. They were going with a rookie QB who was a capable "game manager," but without exceptional skill. Their placekicker was not exactly automatic and had missed EIGHT extra points that year (and missed another in the 3rd quarter). Holding the Rams to three points would in itself have been a moral victory for the Vikings. And the Ram special teams never were all that good (the Cowboys blocked two Ram kicks the week before).

Wouldn't Knox think the Rams would have to be somewhat daring to win, especially at Minnesota? Wouldn't you say "If we can't make half a yard we don't deserve to win, let's go for it." Of course not. Knox sent in the FG team.

The FG was blocked and a perfect bounce went right to Bobby Bryant who ran for a TD, a 14-point swing.

This was in a way a "signature play."
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

SixtiesFan wrote:To me, the signature play for the 1970's LA Rams and particularly for Chuck Knox's 1973-77 time as head coach, was Knox's decision to kick a FG on 4th and inches early in the 1976 NFC Championship game.
The L.A. Times' Jim Murray had a great article and quote about this game and that decision in particular.
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

Here's an obscure one.

Tonawanda Kardex - Fred Brumm's 30-yard reception in the first quarter of the Kardex's only NFL game. It was a game that they lost 45-0 to the winless Rochester Jeffersons.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

I am not looking it up. NY Giants, where Mel Hein was center-eligible and took the ball, and I think scored a touchdown. I'll look it up tomorrow...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

luckyshow wrote:I am not looking it up. NY Giants, where Mel Hein was center-eligible and took the ball, and I think scored a touchdown. I'll look it up tomorrow...
I think you're remembering a play from the 1933 championship game. Before the snap, the Giants shifted so Hein was actually on the end of the line, which made him an eligible receiver by the rules of the day. (I don't believe that would be true today.) Harry Newman moved up under center to take a direct snap, but gave the ball right back to Hein. Then Newman, who everybody thought had the ball, turned around, rolled toward the other end of the line, and pretended to trip. While everybody piled on him, Hein took off downfield. Well, "took off" isn't right; actually, he was supposed to jog downfield until he was far enough in the clear that nobody could catch him, and THEN start running. But according to the story he got excited and started to run too early, and one of the Bears' backs caught him after a gain of 42 yards or something like that.

The 1933 game was full (well, "full" by 1933 standards) of passes and trick plays, and might well have been the best football game every played up until that time. It was a perfect debut for the concept of a championship game. And then in 1934 came the Sneaker Game, in which the Bears were ahead 13-3 after three quarters, only 15 minutes away from completing an undefeated season, before the Giants exploded for 27 points in the fourth quarter. I think two great games like that really helped to establish the title game as an annual institution.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

To me, the obvious one for the Cleveland Browns is Lou Groza kicking the winning field goal in the 1950 championship game. The look on the faces of the Browns and Rams players tell it all as they watch Groza's kick go through the uprights.

Other than that, I like this website's picture of Otto Graham running through the hole created by Cleveland's offensive linemen to score a TD in the 1955 championship game.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Bob Gill wrote:
luckyshow wrote:I am not looking it up. NY Giants, where Mel Hein was center-eligible and took the ball, and I think scored a touchdown. I'll look it up tomorrow...
I think you're remembering a play from the 1933 championship game. Before the snap, the Giants shifted so Hein was actually on the end of the line, which made him an eligible receiver by the rules of the day. (I don't believe that would be true today.) Harry Newman moved up under center to take a direct snap, but gave the ball right back to Hein. Then Newman, who everybody thought had the ball, turned around, rolled toward the other end of the line, and pretended to trip. While everybody piled on him, Hein took off downfield. Well, "took off" isn't right; actually, he was supposed to jog downfield until he was far enough in the clear that nobody could catch him, and THEN start running. But according to the story he got excited and started to run too early, and one of the Bears' backs caught him after a gain of 42 yards or something like that.

The 1933 game was full (well, "full" by 1933 standards) of passes and trick plays, and might well have been the best football game every played up until that time. It was a perfect debut for the concept of a championship game. And then in 1934 came the Sneaker Game, in which the Bears were ahead 13-3 after three quarters, only 15 minutes away from completing an undefeated season, before the Giants exploded for 27 points in the fourth quarter. I think two great games like that really helped to establish the title game as an annual institution.
I remember Coach Troup once said that the 1933 Championship Game was the only Championship game or Super Bowl that had six lead changes in it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen