"Name the Game" trivia

74_75_78_79_

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
- The losing team would go on an 8 game regular season winning streak after losing this game.

- Two different HOFers caught TD passes for the losing team.

- A kicker currently in the top 10 career scoring played for the winning team in this game.
Anyone want to take a stab at this one?
Are you sure two different HOFers caught TDs for the losing team? I found a game with this criteria but one HOFer catches two TD passes.
Same here. Was digging around while in the lobby of my doctor appointment. Now doing laundry and digging around as well. I can only assume this 8-game regular-season win-streak is divided between two regular seasons (ex. ’92/’93 Eagles) and, my guess, not both HOFs are WRs.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Same here. Was digging around while in the lobby of my doctor appointment. Now doing laundry and digging around as well. I can only assume this 8-game regular-season win-streak is divided between two regular seasons (ex. ’92/’93 Eagles) and, my guess, not both HOFs are WRs.
I just double checked. All the clues are correct. The 8 game winning streak is in one season. This team's first regular season game the next season was a loss... which was a relatively famous game. (HINT!) ;)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

......and I guess I just gave away that the 8 games were to close out the season.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:......and I guess I just gave away that the 8 games were to close out the season.
That was enough clues for even me to figure it out:

October 16th, 1949. Eagles at Bears.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160chi.htm

Pihos and Van Buren caught TD passes from Thompson in a losing effort.
George Blanda was the kicker on the winning team and (hopefully) is still in the top ten of scoring.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

correct! I thought this would be an easy one. But I tried to come up with one before the search feature on p-f-r, which I believe starts in 1950.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:correct! I thought this would be an easy one. But I tried to come up with one before the search feature on p-f-r, which I believe starts in 1950.
I thought it was a pretty tough one. Here’s one, perhaps not as tough...

Both teams went into this game with the same record. The losing team were defending-Champs, the two TDs they scored were running plays run in by the same player at 1-yard apiece. The three TDs scored by the winning team were all pass plays, the QB (league passing leader that season) who threw each of them would experience his very first post-season as a starter two years later. The only other playoff game he was in previously in his career, he didn’t see action (a HOFer was the starting QB instead).
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:......and I guess I just gave away that the 8 games were to close out the season.
That was enough clues for even me to figure it out:

October 16th, 1949. Eagles at Bears.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160chi.htm

Pihos and Van Buren caught TD passes from Thompson in a losing effort.
George Blanda was the kicker on the winning team and (hopefully) is still in the top ten of scoring.
Great job, man.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sluggermatt15 wrote: Great job, man.
:oops: Awwww, shucks. 'Tweren't nuthin'.
This made it pretty easy:
ChrisBabcock wrote: This team's first regular season game the next season was a loss... which was a relatively famous game. (HINT!) ;)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:correct! I thought this would be an easy one. But I tried to come up with one before the search feature on p-f-r, which I believe starts in 1950.
I thought it was a pretty tough one. Here’s one, perhaps not as tough...

Both teams went into this game with the same record. The losing team were defending-Champs, the two TDs they scored were running plays run in by the same player at 1-yard apiece. The three TDs scored by the winning team were all pass plays, the QB (league passing leader that season) who threw each of them would experience his very first post-season as a starter two years later. The only other playoff game he was in previously in his career, he didn’t see action (a HOFer was the starting QB instead).
I've got this one. My first thought was that the QB in question would be Danny White, who would have been on playoff teams with HOFer Staubach, and knowing your affinity for the 1978-81 period. :) But then I realized that he never would have led the league in any passing stat.

49ers 27, Packers 20
12/1/68
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 010sfo.htm

Both teams were 5-5-1. Jim Grabowski had two 1 yard TDs for the Packers. John Brodie (former teammate of Tittle) threw 3 TD passes. One of which went to one year wonder Clifton McNeil.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Nice find, Chris. :)

Got any more challenging ones?