NFL expansion in Toronto

Gary Najman

Re: NFL expansion in Toronto

Post by Gary Najman »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
65 toss power trap wrote:Toronto is within the Buffalo "home territory" (75 miles radius around the stadium). When there is overlap, the radius shortens to half the distance in that direction. While the Bills don't have veto power on the decision, the owners would be loathe to shrinking someone's home territory without some sort of horsetrading going on.
This is very true and I agree. I think the chances of the league entering Toronto is slim. IMO they have a better chance at Mexico City.
Mexico City (my hometown) will never happened. It has a HUGE NFL following and a big capacity venue in Azteca Stadium (although current renovations lowered the capacity to less than 80,000, when 115,000 went to the Cowboys-Oilers pre-season game in 1994), but we have ellections in a month and the favorite to be the next president is a Soviet-educated neo-communist populist who dislikes everything American (other than the baseball Dodgers and Red Sox, his son's favorite team), and the economy will go downright, even if he loses. I'm perplexed that the Chiefs-Rams MNF game will be played this season, maybe because the newly elected president won't take possesion until Decemeber 1st. Anyway, I doubt many American players like to play here with the altitude, pollution, traffic and insecurity that sadly we have.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Teo wrote: Olympic Stadium is also awful for Canadian (and American football), with the stands so far away. The Alouettes play at the nearly 100-year old 25,000-capacity Percival Molson Stadium at McGill University, where they fill every game. When the WLAF Montreal Machine played at Olympic Stadium in 1991 and 1992 the Alouettes had folded by then, witrh an CFL team is impossible for an American expansion.
The Alouettes filled Percival Molson Stadium until they expanded the capacity from 20,200 to 25,000 in 2010. Attendance has dwindled ever since; partly due to supply now exceeding demand and also the declining fortunes of the team. Capacity was reduced from 25,000 to 23,400 in 2014.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Teo wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:
65 toss power trap wrote:Toronto is within the Buffalo "home territory" (75 miles radius around the stadium). When there is overlap, the radius shortens to half the distance in that direction. While the Bills don't have veto power on the decision, the owners would be loathe to shrinking someone's home territory without some sort of horsetrading going on.
This is very true and I agree. I think the chances of the league entering Toronto is slim. IMO they have a better chance at Mexico City.
Mexico City (my hometown) will never happened. It has a HUGE NFL following and a big capacity venue in Azteca Stadium (although current renovations lowered the capacity to less than 80,000, when 115,000 went to the Cowboys-Oilers pre-season game in 1994), but we have ellections in a month and the favorite to be the next president is a Soviet-educated neo-communist populist who dislikes everything American (other than the baseball Dodgers and Red Sox, his son's favorite team), and the economy will go downright, even if he loses. I'm perplexed that the Chiefs-Rams MNF game will be played this season, maybe because the newly elected president won't take possesion until Decemeber 1st. Anyway, I doubt many American players like to play here with the altitude, pollution, traffic and insecurity that sadly we have.
Interesting point. Thank you for the insight. Even with the economic boom that an NFL team could bring the city, you think the new regime would still say 'no'? It's almost as if Mexico City has half the factors needed for an expansion - a venue, popularity, location close to US, etc.