Inane trivia for 2018

Rupert Patrick

Re: Inane trivia for 2018

Post by Rupert Patrick »

conace21 wrote:Tony Dungy is the only one I can come up with.
Ken Stabler?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Tony Dungy is the only one I can come up with.
He's the first I thought of immediately. I came up with 3 others which are actually easy if you think outside the box. I'm stuck on the last one. Probably just someone I missed.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

conace21 wrote:Tony Dungy is the only one I can come up with.
Yes, Dungy is one of them-- he's enshrined as a coach, of course, but he was a backup safety for the Steelers and an occasional starter for the 49ers in the late 70s.

There's a bit of a technicality in the question for the other four who were great, but never selected to appear in the Pro Bowl. Mr. Babcock is on the right track here.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

If I guessed Bobby Anderson and John Cappeletti, would I be on the right track?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Citizen wrote:If I guessed Bobby Anderson and John Cappeletti, would I be on the right track?
No, but I do need to be more specific-- I didn't consider the College Football Hall of Fame. The players I'm thinking of are enshrined at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. The technicality is that they were not picked for the Pro Bowl.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Mark L. Ford wrote:No, but I do need to be more specific-- I didn't consider the College Football Hall of Fame. The players I'm thinking of are enshrined at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. The technicality is that they were not picked for the Pro Bowl.
Interesting. Would Ron Mix meet the criteria?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Bryan wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:No, but I do need to be more specific-- I didn't consider the College Football Hall of Fame. The players I'm thinking of are enshrined at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. The technicality is that they were not picked for the Pro Bowl.
Yes, Ron Mix is one of them. The venerable George Blanda is another.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Lance Alworth
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Blanda was one one I couldn’t come up with even though he was my answer to yesterday’s question! :oops: Dungy was the the guy that immediately came to mind. Then I realized the other 4 had to be AFL players. I came up with 3 but missed Blanda. So here are the 5...

Dungy
Alworth
Maynard
Mix
Blanda
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Blanda was one one I couldn’t come up with even though he was my answer to yesterday’s question! :oops: Dungy was the the guy that immediately came to mind. Then I realized the other 4 had to be AFL players. I came up with 3 but missed Blanda. So here are the 5...

Dungy
Alworth
Maynard
Mix
Blanda
That's the answer-- the technicality, of course, is that the last four were selected many times for the AFL All-Star Game, but that the Pro Bowl was the name strictly for the NFL. None of them were selected after the merger when it became an AFC-NFC thing.