MMQB All-Time Draft

conace21

Re: MMQB All-Time Draft

Post by conace21 »

I noted that Fouts took 1 WR (Joiner) who was very good for a long time but never really great, and another (Jefferson) who was great for three years and then fell off dramatically.

When assessing why some players fell dramatically, one thing to keep in mind is they were slotted only 15 seconds per pick. That's not a lot of time to scan your draft board, look at 15 or so different positions, and make a decision. That's especially true if you're drafting like John, and looking not just for the best WR available, but the best power WR. I imagine the board would have looked quite different if selectors had been given 90 seconds instead if 15.
Last edited by conace21 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan

Post by Evan »

For those who perused the list of who got drafted, I wonder what your feelings are about the best single-season NFL team to not have a representative get drafted. I'm thinking maybe 1972 Redskins, presuming Charley Taylor or Chris Hanburger didn't get picked? Maybe the 1976 Colts? I'm thinking just about all the Super Bowl winners had someone picked and most of the other great teams too, but I didn't pore over the list that closely. Thoughts?

These kind of dream teams remind me of a few similar treatments from years past:

1. John Madden's All-Time Super Bowl team special on TV many years ago when he got a handful of the players he chose to actually suit up again in full pads for a locker room "pep talk". Namath looked uncomfortably old in his Jets uniform, but Staubach undoubtedly had a look in his eye that said he was ready to fire on command. It was kind of poignant, kind of cool, and did fuel the imagination of what it would be like to "restore" all of these greats to their prime.

2. One of the Zander Hollander-edited, Complete Handbook of Pro Football editions featured an article about a mock game between the Old-Timers and the Moderns. I believe they had Sayers running back a kick for a TD, Tarkenton getting ejected for chewing out a ref, and lots of crushing hard hits.

3. Paul Zimmerman's Dream Team which was part of the Sports Illustrated Classic series featuring Dream Teams in every sport had a couple of composite drawings of the ultimate all-star teams lining up. Dr. Z had Rich Jackson, Cliff Harris and other less than obvious choices in there.

Wondering what your favorite "all-time team" type of articles are, or are they all just maddeningly annoying for one reason or another?
conace21

Post by conace21 »

2 more notes.
Steve Van Buren was Mr. Irrelevant. He was arguably the greatest halfback in NFL history at the time of the merger.... though some may argue for Sayers.

Dan Fouts took the most versatile offensive lineman ever, Bruce Matthews... and put him at left tackle... where he only started 17 games in his career. Last time I saw Bruce at LT, he was giving up 4 sacks to Bruce Smith in 1994.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

conace21 wrote:2 more notes.
Steve Van Buren was Mr. Irrelevant. He was arguably the greatest halfback in NFL history at the time of the merger.... though some may argue for Sayers.

Dan Fouts took the most versatile offensive lineman ever, Bruce Matthews... and put him at left tackle... where he only started 17 games in his career. Last time I saw Bruce at LT, he was giving up 4 sacks to Bruce Smith in 1994.
I mentioned that. I remember it, too.
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... draft.html
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Evan wrote:For those who perused the list of who got drafted, I wonder what your feelings are about the best single-season NFL team to not have a representative get drafted. I'm thinking maybe 1972 Redskins, presuming Charley Taylor or Chris Hanburger didn't get picked? Maybe the 1976 Colts? I'm thinking just about all the Super Bowl winners had someone picked and most of the other great teams too, but I didn't pore over the list that closely. Thoughts?
I would say the 1950 Rams. The 1951 Rams had representation with Andy Robustelli being picked, but none of the selectors chose Waterfield/Van Brocklin/Hirsch/Fears. I think its somewhat understandable considering the amount of modern era QBs and WRs to choose from, but those Rams teams from 1949-1952 had a lot of talent.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:
Evan wrote:For those who perused the list of who got drafted, I wonder what your feelings are about the best single-season NFL team to not have a representative get drafted. I'm thinking maybe 1972 Redskins, presuming Charley Taylor or Chris Hanburger didn't get picked? Maybe the 1976 Colts? I'm thinking just about all the Super Bowl winners had someone picked and most of the other great teams too, but I didn't pore over the list that closely. Thoughts?
I would say the 1950 Rams. The 1951 Rams had representation with Andy Robustelli being picked, but none of the selectors chose Waterfield/Van Brocklin/Hirsch/Fears. I think its somewhat understandable considering the amount of modern era QBs and WRs to choose from, but those Rams teams from 1949-1952 had a lot of talent.
Yeah, but football didn't exist back then... ;)
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Interesting premise and execution, but...."Dwight Stevenson"? "Leroy Selmon"? "Curley Lambeau"?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Citizen wrote:Interesting premise and execution, but...."Dwight Stevenson"? "Leroy Selmon"? "Curley Lambeau"?
Hey, one Browns media guide from about a decade ago mentioned "Gayle" Sayers. :roll:
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

I'm a little surprised that Don Hutson doesn't get dinged a little bit for:
1) playing in a league where the best athletes weren't allowed to play; and,
2) having his best years when all the second-best athletes were fighting in WWII....
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Regarding Hutson; I understand your point but you can only play against the guys on the other side of the line.