HOF Finalists named

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Re: HOF Finalists named

Post by JuggernautJ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:After all, they made the owners billions (!!!) of dollars and as we know that's what the NFL is really all about.
Realistically, for an owner to not make tens of millions every year, you have to be pretty stupid--or Art Modell. :D
While this is true it is beside the point.
The point is these men will be inducted into the Hall of Fame not for any contribution to the game but because they made a bunch of rich guys richer.
Yay Football.

Which one doesn't belong:

George Halas, Lamar Hunt, Art Rooney, Jerry Jones?

Jim Thorpe, Bert Bell, Joe Carr (or even Pete Rozelle), Paul Tagliabue?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

And Joe Carr's official bio on the Hall of Fame website lists his height/weight as 0'0", 0. :roll:
In which case he belongs in more than just the Football Hall of Fame! :lol:

http://www.profootballhof.com/players/joe-carr/
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Couple questions:

1. Was under the impression Jerry Jones had done a good bit of committee work in addition to creating the product revenue model he's best known for. Still wouldn't make him the best owner in, of course -- though he'll beat Bidwill and DeBartolo handily enough.

2. How good a HoF selection was Art Rooney? Maybe he did all kind of significant stuff I don't know about. I'm happy to be convinced.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

bachslunch wrote:Couple questions:

1. Was under the impression Jerry Jones had done a good bit of committee work in addition to creating the product revenue model he's best known for. Still wouldn't make him the best owner in, of course -- though he'll beat Bidwill and DeBartolo handily enough.
Bidwill, yes. DeBartolo, I don't know. Not easy to build a dynasty, regardless of era.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

JuggernautJ wrote:I believe both Lynch and Easley will be elected.
Not as much for whether they are deserving (IMO one definitely and one not-so-much) but because their respective teams have little representation in The Hall.
When I visited in 2000 Leroy Selmon's jersey looked awful lonely by itself in a corner.
Lee Roy, not Leroy.

And it's hard to justify a lot of Buc representation in the Hall when they've had exactly 13 winning seasons out of 41 and have been, for much of their existence, the worst franchise in professional sports.
But soon (I predict) Tampa Bay will have five names in Canton (Lynch, Selmon, Sapp, Brooks and Dungy) and that will be enough to draw folks up from Florida. Which is, after all, what its really all about.
I grew up in Florida. Half of Ohio spends half the year there already. :)

I doubt very seriously the HOF selectors take museum attendance into account. The induction ceremony itself, sure, the Hall probably wishes for players with a Favre-like following to get inducted, but they'll get people to come for that one weekend, not on some random March afternoon.

The Hall gets about 200,000 visitors a year, supposedly, and generates about $20M in annual revenue. (The Baseball Hall in Cooperstown received what was described as a low-for-them 260,000 visitors in 2013, its lowest since the 1980s, because the annual induction ceremony didn't include any modern players.) The Hockey Hall supposedly gets about 300,000 a year (supposedly down from a half million a year in the 90s), but's also in the biggest city in a hockey-crazy country and not a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Museums are, as an industry, a very tough business. Museums about the most popular sports in the country have a bit of an advantage. The mythology of the NFL certainly helps. But attendance is an issue for those who run such museums, not those who vote for who gets enshrined in them.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Throwin_Samoan wrote:

Bidwill, yes. DeBartolo, I don't know. Not easy to build a dynasty, regardless of era.
DeBartolo as far as I can tell did nothing regarding committee work or innovation at all. Jones did. For me, that's a huge difference. Plus the 90s Cowboys are considered a dynasty by many, and Jones was the owner during it.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JuggernautJ wrote:I believe both Lynch and Easley will be elected.
Not as much for whether they are deserving (IMO one definitely and one not-so-much) but because their respective teams have little representation in The Hall.
When I visited in 2000 Leroy Selmon's jersey looked awful lonely by itself in a corner.
But soon (I predict) Tampa Bay will have five names in Canton (Lynch, Selmon, Sapp, Brooks and Dungy) and that will be enough to draw folks up from Florida. Which is, after all, what its really all about.
My guess is that eventually they'll have six counting Ronde Barber, though he'll take quite a while to get elected.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Correction on Steve Atwater. Rechecked and he retired in 1999, so he may have until 2024. With four safeties ahead of him, seven years left eligible is still cutting it close, but not quite as bad as I thought. Hoping for the best.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

bachslunch wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:

DeBartolo as far as I can tell did nothing regarding committee work or innovation at all. Jones did. For me, that's a huge difference. Plus the 90s Cowboys are considered a dynasty by many, and Jones was the owner during it.
Jimmy Johnson had a LITTLE BIT to do with that dynasty. Jerry's record since hasn't been anything to brag about--and he's the guy that pushed Johnson out.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

BD Sullivan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:Bachslunch said: Couple questions:

1. Was under the impression Jerry Jones had done a good bit of committee work in addition to creating the product revenue model he's best known for. Still wouldn't make him the best owner in, of course -- though he'll beat Bidwill and DeBartolo handily enough.(end Bachslunch quote)

Jimmy Johnson had a LITTLE BIT to do with that dynasty. Jerry's record since hasn't been anything to brag about--and he's the guy that pushed Johnson out.
Well sure, Johnson had a whole lot to do with that dynasty -- I'd say almost as much as Walsh did with the 'Niners dynasty. But if credit is being given above to DeBartolo for the latter, Jones deserves as much credit for the former. Which is to say not a whole lot in either case beyond making a good hire and opening up a checkbook.