Postseason matchups that you would have liked to have seen

sheajets

Re: Postseason matchups that you would have liked to have se

Post by sheajets »

My own selfishness...Jets/Broncos in the 1986 AFC Championship game. We beat Denver earlier in the year 22-10 with Elway having a horrible game and running for his life. We had good speed on the d-line and linebacking corp and he found it tough to find time with his usual scrambling. Granted this game would be in Denver and my head and heart says we probably lose anyway.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jets/Redskins Super Bowl XVII.

Dolphins were better than us that year but it would've been nice to see Riggins vs his old team. We would've been spared a 4/17 performance by Woodley and Strock. Miami's offense the entire game was basically 1 long pass to Jimmy Cefalo. That's it.

Would've been nice to see the short lived but dominant Sack Exchange on the Super Bowl stage(though Klecko was banged up). We had a young exciting Freeman McNeil who was on a projected 1400 yards rushing/330 yard receiving season, Wesley Walker as a thrilling deep threat. I think we would've gotten a good game

But we didn't deserve to be there. Miami beat us 3 times that year.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

sheajets wrote:Jets/Redskins Super Bowl XVII.

Dolphins were better than us that year but it would've been nice to see Riggins vs his old team. We would've been spared a 4/17 performance by Woodley and Strock. Miami's offense the entire game was basically 1 long pass to Jimmy Cefalo. That's it.

Would've been nice to see the short lived but dominant Sack Exchange on the Super Bowl stage(though Klecko was banged up). We had a young exciting Freeman McNeil who was on a projected 1400 yards rushing/330 yard receiving season, Wesley Walker as a thrilling deep threat. I think we would've gotten a good game

Jets/Forty Niners at Pontiac the previous year.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:

Jets/Forty Niners at Pontiac the previous year.
Richard Todd had an open Bobby Jones in the back of the endzone in the waning seconds of that game but under-threw him. In typical Jets fashion after 11 years out of the playoffs their first postseason play was a fumbled kickoff return run back for a TD. They were down 24-0 in the blink of an eye, then 31-13 in the 4th quarter.

If the Jets pulled that one off it would've been one of the more legendary comebacks in NFL playoff history.

The Bengals were outstanding that year though, so no way we get past them.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

CSKreager wrote:OAK-BUF 1980 AFC-CG (Oakland I don't think could have won another Ice Station Zebra type game. The weather for Buffalo the day of the AFC-CG had BUF held on at SD: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-histo ... 981/01/11/)
Good point. A hypo-AFCC date at frigid Buffalo may have been what could have gotten in Oakland's way. Then again, both teams would have had to play in it; and Raiders did fine enough the previous week. Would have been interesting. Another thing to think of, that game probably would have been scheduled as the later (night) game to accomodate the West Coast (Raider) fans. Even more bitter cold.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
CSKreager wrote:OAK-BUF 1980 AFC-CG (Oakland I don't think could have won another Ice Station Zebra type game. The weather for Buffalo the day of the AFC-CG had BUF held on at SD: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-histo ... 981/01/11/)
Good point. A hypo-AFCC date at frigid Buffalo may have been what could have gotten in Oakland's way. Then again, both teams would have had to play in it; and Raiders did fine enough the previous week. Would have been interesting. Another thing to think of, that game probably would have been scheduled as the later (night) game to accomodate the West Coast (Raider) fans. Even more bitter cold.
I don't think that would have automatically been the late game because the weather in Philly that day wasn't much better (of course, if Atlanta had held on the week prior and the NFC-CG is Eagles/Falcons, then OAK/BUF hypothetical is easily the early game)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

A Bills game in Cleveland would have had almost the same exact weather as Buffalo, FWIW.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Maybe not the sexiest matchup, but.... 1992 NFC Divisional Playoffs- New Orleans at Dallas
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Looking back, it would have been interesting to see a Redskins-Steelers matchup in SB 17. If the Steelers didn't blow that late lead against SD, they had a good chance to beat both the Dolphins and Jets.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bills-49ers in either SB23 or SB25.