Top 10 Defensive Players of All Time

James

Post by James »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Mel Hein. Don't laugh.
Can't believe I forgot about Hein. Great choice...
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
74_75_78_79_

Re: Top 10 Defensive Players of All Time

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Mike Haynes...Randy White...Howie Long...Chuck Bednarik...Sam Huff...Derrick Brooks?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James

Post by James »

Ernie Stautner could be another.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I'm not.
I considered putting him in my post about pre-50s players but didn't want to deal with the "Center" discussion.

Another name not yet mentioned (although decidedly post 50's) is Ted Hendricks.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:
I'm not.
I considered putting him in my post about pre-50s players but didn't want to deal with the "Center" discussion.

Another name not yet mentioned (although decidedly post 50's) is Ted Hendricks.
You would have misspelled it, anyway. Just kidding---I make more typos than anyone. Just a combination of laziness, poor spelling and a bit of dyslexia.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

What, no one has mentioned Alan Page? He was to Pro Football Reference the top player of the 70s.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:What, no one has mentioned Alan Page? He was to Pro Football Reference the top player of the 70s.
He is one of my 4 best-ever DTs
Greene, Page, Lilly, Olsen. Then there is a gap, IMO, then the others.

Page was best pass rusher of those 4. But, was not as good versus run as those other 3. But, he was a game-changer, a guy who wass in the mix often for DPOY or NFC DL of year, the national-type awards . .

I think a case could be made for each of those four to be the best ever DT. I would really depend on criteria and what type of player you prefer. Greene and Olsen were similar, and Lilly and Page were similar.

after those four, then a gap, you can get into the Randy Whites and Nomellini or Randles, etc.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

JohnTurney wrote:
Teo wrote:What, no one has mentioned Alan Page? He was to Pro Football Reference the top player of the 70s.
after those four, then a gap, you can get into the Randy Whites and Nomellini or Randles, etc.
Cortez Kennedy, Sapp, etc.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

slats7 wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
Cortez Kennedy, Sapp, etc.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little when I read Sapp, he's not close to top 10 all time.

Honestly the whole exercise is too hard. DE I'd have trouble between White, Marchetti and Jones - w hu over you leave off is a snub. DT, Greene, Olson, Lilly and Page - whover you leave off is a snub. OLB Concrete Charlie, Ham, Brooks, etc, etc, etc.

I know the Mt Rushmore thing drives some nuts, but b picking 10 all time is just terribly difficult. You literally have to leave a position off.

I think Hein is an excellent pre 50 choice. In his absolute peak I might take Len Ford over any DE.

Just MLB is so ooo difficult. George, Schmidt, Huff, Butkus, Lanier, Lambert, Singltary, Lewis, how do you choose - I'd probably go Schmidt, but not without losing some sleep.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

In no particular order:
Reggie White
Deacon Jones
Gino Marchetti
Merlin Olsen
Bob Lilly
Dick Butkus
Lawrence Taylor
Jack Ham