Chances the Raiders go 0-16

oldecapecod11

Re: Chances the Raiders go 0-16

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Looks like the Raiders might have over-celebrated their big W.
They trail the lowly Rams 38-0 at the Half.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

They trail the lowly Rams 38-0 at the Half.
They mentioned that 38 was the most they've ever given up in a half. Funny... I have vivid memories of them trailing 41-3 at the half in the 1990 AFC championship game. (They must have meant regular season.)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

One indication of how bad the Raiders have been over the last decade, and especially in the last 3-4 years:

12/11/11: Trailed GB 31-0 at Lambeau. losing 46-16
12/29/13: Trailed Denver 31-0 at home, losing 34-14

Way back on 9/17/61, they trailed the Chargers 30-0 before losing 44-0. That was one week after the Oilers beat them 55-0. After the Chargers loss, the team's head coach, Eddie Erdelatz resigned.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

BD Sullivan wrote:One indication of how bad the Raiders have been over the last decade, and especially in the last 3-4 years:

Way back on 9/17/61, they trailed the Chargers 30-0 before losing 44-0. That was one week after the Oilers beat them 55-0. After the Chargers loss, the team's head coach, Eddie Erdelatz resigned.

I read somewhere that the owner asked Erdelatz what he was going to do about the way the Raiders were playing. The book I was reading had that Eddie said the one thing a head coach should never say in his circumstance. That was, "I don't know what to do about it." According to the book I was reading (I can't remember the title), Eddie was fired shortly after.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

BD Sullivan wrote:One indication of how bad the Raiders have been over the last decade, and especially in the last 3-4 years:

Reminds me of the 1966 Giants team that set a record for most points allowed in a season. Some of their scores:

52 to 7 loss to Dallas.
72 to 41 loss to Washington.
49 to 40 loss to Cleveland.
55 to 14 loss to L.A. Rams.
47 to 28 loss to Pittsburgh.
35 to 17 loss to Philadelphia
31 to 3 loss to Philadelphia
28 to 7 loss to Cleveland

Maybe their worst loss of all was a 28 to 17 loss to expansion Atlanta. It was Atlanta's first ever win, and Atlanta was not one of the better expansion teams. Atlanta did later beat Minnesota when coach Van Brocklin benched Tarkenton for whatever reason and the Cardinals after their starting QB Charley Johnson was out for the season with an injury.

The 1966 Giants did play the St. Louis Cards close in a couple of their losses, but the Giants usually seemed to own the Cardinals during most of the 1960's.

I was impressed with quarterback Gary Wood, who took over at QB after Earl Morrall was injured. I liked his mobility and I didn't think that he was a bad passer. I think that Wood may have developed into a pretty good quarterback if he got to play regularly with someone. Trouble is, the Giants got Fran Tarkenton in 1967 and Wood went to the Saints and played behind Billy Kilmer and Gary Cuozzo. I was also impressed with Joe Morrison, Homer Jones, and Henry Carr on that 1966 Giants team.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Saban wrote:

Reminds me of the 1966 Giants team that set a record for most points allowed in a season. Some of their scores:

52 to 7 loss to Dallas.
72 to 41 loss to Washington.
49 to 40 loss to Cleveland.
55 to 14 loss to L.A. Rams.
47 to 28 loss to Pittsburgh.
35 to 17 loss to Philadelphia
31 to 3 loss to Philadelphia
28 to 7 loss to Cleveland

Maybe their worst loss of all was a 28 to 17 loss to expansion Atlanta. It was Atlanta's first ever win, and Atlanta was not one of the better expansion teams. Atlanta did later beat Minnesota when coach Van Brocklin benched Tarkenton for whatever reason and the Cardinals after their starting QB Charley Johnson was out for the season with an injury.

The 1966 Giants did play the St. Louis Cards close in a couple of their losses, but the Giants usually seemed to own the Cardinals during most of the 1960's.

I was impressed with quarterback Gary Wood, who took over at QB after Earl Morrall was injured. I liked his mobility and I didn't think that he was a bad passer. I think that Wood may have developed into a pretty good quarterback if he got to play regularly with someone. Trouble is, the Giants got Fran Tarkenton in 1967 and Wood went to the Saints and played behind Billy Kilmer and Gary Cuozzo. I was also impressed with Joe Morrison, Homer Jones, and Henry Carr on that 1966 Giants team.

It could have been worse. The 1966 Giants final game was against the high scoring Dallas Cowboys. Dallas, with the Eastern Conference title clinched, decided to rest starting quarterback Don Meredith and played their two backup QB's (Jerry Rhome in the first half and Craig Morton in the second). Despite this and not needing a win, Dallas still won the game 17 to 7. The 1966 New York Giants gave up a record 501 points that year averaging almost 36 points per game allowed, and the final game against Dallas brought down that average.

The Giants improved dramatically in 1967 with a break even 7 and 7 mark thanks to Fran Tarkenton and some others. My favorite Giants in 1967 were not only Joe Morrison and Homer Jones, but also Ernie Koy, Aaron Thomas, Vince Costello, Spider Lockhart, Bob Lurtsema, and rookie Ken Avery, who seemed to make about half the tackles for the Giants. Tucker Frederickson was back and could block well and could run and catch passes. Henry Carr started the season at right cornerback but was injured later in the season. Offensive linemen Greg Larson, Pete Case, and Willie Young did well that year and veteran DE Jim Katcavage made some big plays in 1967 for New York.