Least favorite season your team had?

Bryan

Re: Least favorite season your team had?

Post by Bryan »

Citizen wrote:How Wright ended up as the starter is indicative of where the Packers were at then. They wavered between him and Steve Pelluer in the 1984 draft. They had him on a carousel with Lynn Dickey and Jim Zorn in 1985. They drafted Robbie Bosco in 1986, bad shoulder and all. They made Dickey a lowball offer before cutting him. They tried and failed to trade for Jim Everett. They brought in Doug Flutie for a tryout, but didn't want to give up a third-rounder for him. They acquired Chuck Fusina and Vince Ferragamo, neither of whom had anything to offer. Wright got the starting job more or less by default.
I do remember Robbie Bosco being given 'savior' status, expected to step in for Dickey immediately and do well. Which was funny because the Packers drafted Bosco in the 4th or 5th round and it was well known that Bosco COULD NO LONGER THROW A FOOTBALL. If Bosco had been healthy, he would have been a 1st round pick most likely. If I am remembering things correctly, I believe the most impressive QB the Packers had in the 1986 preseason was Scott Brunner, yet the Packers chose to cut Brunner to make room for Joe Shield. As usual, just a complete misjudging of talent by the coaching staff.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote:
Citizen wrote:How Wright ended up as the starter is indicative of where the Packers were at then. They wavered between him and Steve Pelluer in the 1984 draft. They had him on a carousel with Lynn Dickey and Jim Zorn in 1985. They drafted Robbie Bosco in 1986, bad shoulder and all. They made Dickey a lowball offer before cutting him. They tried and failed to trade for Jim Everett. They brought in Doug Flutie for a tryout, but didn't want to give up a third-rounder for him. They acquired Chuck Fusina and Vince Ferragamo, neither of whom had anything to offer. Wright got the starting job more or less by default.
I do remember Robbie Bosco being given 'savior' status, expected to step in for Dickey immediately and do well. Which was funny because the Packers drafted Bosco in the 4th or 5th round and it was well known that Bosco COULD NO LONGER THROW A FOOTBALL. If Bosco had been healthy, he would have been a 1st round pick most likely. If I am remembering things correctly, I believe the most impressive QB the Packers had in the 1986 preseason was Scott Brunner, yet the Packers chose to cut Brunner to make room for Joe Shield. As usual, just a complete misjudging of talent by the coaching staff.
Randy Wright never bothered me that much at the time, but a lot of other people seem to dislike him.

His W/L record was 7-25. That's awful. When you're worse than Gary Huff it's saying something. Wright was good enough to lose. He was a decent thrower, not a runner, but really had no upside beyond what he did. He threw better than David Whitehurst but won less. Maybe lacking in leadership, "swagger", the sense that the QB might be inconsistent but have something in him to lead the team or make a special play. I think that's what was missing with Wright.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

1972 for the Vikings. Everything that could go wrong did.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Jay Z wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Randy Wright never bothered me that much at the time, but a lot of other people seem to dislike him.

His W/L record was 7-25. That's awful. When you're worse than Gary Huff it's saying something. Wright was good enough to lose. He was a decent thrower, not a runner, but really had no upside beyond what he did. He threw better than David Whitehurst but won less. Maybe lacking in leadership, "swagger", the sense that the QB might be inconsistent but have something in him to lead the team or make a special play. I think that's what was missing with Wright.
Yeah, like you, Randy Wright never bothered me at the time. I liked him because he was a Badger. I can't remember anybody around me seriously thinking the Packers could contend except after they traded for John Jefferson around 80 or 81. So, it wasn't extremely disappointing for them to go 4-12. I remembered a 5-11 year or two when I first started watching. When they went 8-7-1, it seemed like it felt special to us kids. Our generation didn't remember the Lombardi years, so maybe it would have been more disappointing to see them with a losing record, but kids my age were just used to the Packers not really having a chance against the premier NFC teams - and really even the Bears or Vikings. The Chester Marcol play seemed like a miracle. We didn't really expect much from the Packers - they were just fun to have as the home team. Like I mentioned before, the loveable loser.

I hadn't remembered Robbie Bosco coming to GB - I do remember them drafting Rich Campbell a few seasons before that. I also remember the Mossy Cade signing and the local media saying we had gotten a potential star. When he started playing I remember thinking, "THAT'S the guy they're making a big fuss about?" One of my first NFL headscratchers.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

That 1986 Thanksgiving at Detroit is one of the greatest games I've never seen. As you know, I live in Mexico and here Thanksgiving is like another date, so I remember being at school and then in the evening I took piano lessons, so I didn't see both games (that was good in part since my Cowboys were crushed by the Seahawks) and I never saw the highlights on ESPN.

As for the 1986 Packers, I am surprised they still had Gerry Ellis and Eddie Lee Ivery at RB. Also they had many former USFL players (Paul Ott Carruth, Nolan Franz, Greg Feasel, David Greenwood, even Dan Ross and Bobby Leopold).
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Perhaps on account of Kenneth Davis being their top draft pick, they moved Ivery to WR that year, and he was actually somewhat productive (31 catches for 385 yards).
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Citizen wrote:Perhaps on account of Kenneth Davis being their top draft pick, they moved Ivery to WR that year, and he was actually somewhat productive (31 catches for 385 yards).
Based on what Davis did in Buffalo, GB should have just stuck with him instead of Fullwood
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Philadelphia Eagles 2012. Background- in 07, 08, 09, and 11, the Eagles had late season rallies to improve their record to .500. In 07 and 11, the wins could not bring us a playoff. I though 2012 would see the end of this. Then in 2020, I figured the rash of injuries would end. No the ream was 4-11-1.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

So many to choose from. Oh so many

Have to go with 1995 for the Jets. Leon Hess moronically fires Pete Carroll after 1 season and for some ungodly reason hires Rich Kotite...who just flamed out in Philly and looked completely disinterested and beleagured in the process.

The Jets trade Rob Moore for RB Ron Moore who wasn't any good. He got here and immediately looked worthless

They passed on Warren Sapp because Hess vetoed it. Was worried about "character issues"

They had nothing at wide receiver aside from a gutsy young unknown Wayne Chrebet who was one of the rare bright spots to come out of that era. Adrian Murrell was another.

The Jets were not just bad they were boring bad and heartless and disinterested and poorly conditioned and unprepared to play. Kotite was reported just milling around practice fields during the week smoking cigars, then leaving early to beat the Long Island traffic.

They were humiliated by Miami to start the season 52-14. The home opener they lead Indy 24-3 in the 3rd quarter. Naturally they blow the lead and lose in OT 27-24 on a 52 yard FG by Mike Cofer. He was just about to wash out of the NFL and looked like crap but of course he made that one.

Oakland annihilated them 47-10. Buffalo killed them at Rich Stadium and knocked Boomer Esiason out. They're playing the 0-5 expansion Panthers and are up 12-3 in the 2nd quarter...of course they blow that too with Bubby Brister throwing a moronic shovel pass pick 6 to Sam Mills. Gave the Panthers their first ever victory. Unwatchable 23-6 and 12-0 late season losses to the Oilers and Saints where most of the team looked comatose.

Everything about that time period was hopeless