NFL 100 All-Time Team

JWL

Re: NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by JWL »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: I'm weak on modern so most wouldn't want my top 100 - Off the top of my head for non-QBs I'd have Guy Chamberlin, Clarke Hinkle, and Cal Hubbard.

For QBs, I'd have some Tailbacks: Al Mahrt, Paddy Driscoll, Benny Friedman, Dutch Clark, and of course Baugh and Graham. Then you add the 5 or 6 others everyone likes and probably stop. I probably don't have room for Favre, Young, Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Moon, Kurt Warner, Jim Kelly, Aikman, Tarkenton, Namath, etc. All players who usually show up.

My point on QBs was I think they had 20+ so it winds up unbalanced. There is a natural tendency to get carried away with skill positions. I rattled off some names and only Hubbard was a lineman, so I did the same thing :)

The team will have 10 quarterbacks on it.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JWL wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote: I'm weak on modern so most wouldn't want my top 100 - Off the top of my head for non-QBs I'd have Guy Chamberlin, Clarke Hinkle, and Cal Hubbard.

For QBs, I'd have some Tailbacks: Al Mahrt, Paddy Driscoll, Benny Friedman, Dutch Clark, and of course Baugh and Graham. Then you add the 5 or 6 others everyone likes and probably stop. I probably don't have room for Favre, Young, Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Moon, Kurt Warner, Jim Kelly, Aikman, Tarkenton, Namath, etc. All players who usually show up.

My point on QBs was I think they had 20+ so it winds up unbalanced. There is a natural tendency to get carried away with skill positions. I rattled off some names and only Hubbard was a lineman, so I did the same thing :)

Yep, it gets tight, but I'm fine with 10. 100/22 = 4.5, but I'm okay with some extra skill position players just not getting crazy with 25 QBs. I'd have to use P. Driscoll and D. Clark as two of my RB choices. Would Marino/Elway be squeezed out of mine? Not sure - people would hate it.

P.S. The original show had Thorpe, Grange, Nevers, Hein, Hutson, Nagurski, and Baugh. I'd keep those except Grange - he has historical importance, but if I only get 8-10 backs then no.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JWL wrote:

I predict they will have 11 - it will be Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton Manning, Favre, Montana, Elway, Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh, and if there is an 12th, Dan Marino. It's not who I'd name, but that's who they'll probably go with, and there will be fans complaining about Patrick Mahomes not being on the list, after being in the league for less than three seasons and not winning a single championship.

As to the earlier post as to whether they'll have celebrities in this NFL 100 special, of course they will; they've had them in all the other ones, and I'm sure a guy like Ice Cube Jr. will have lots of personal insight into what made Sammy Baugh such a great football player.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TanksAndSpartans

Rupert, no Unitas? Aren't they more likely to drop Baugh :)
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Rupert, no Unitas? Aren't they more likely to drop Baugh :)
Oops! We add Unitas and make it an even 12 QB's on the top 100. I really can't see any of them being dropped.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JWL wrote:
I predict they will have 11 -. . .

The article of which a link was provided in the first post states the team will have 10 quarterbacks.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JWL wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
JWL wrote:
I predict they will have 11 -. . .

The article of which a link was provided in the first post states the team will have 10 quarterbacks.
They'll drop Favre and Elway from my list.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

My QB picks (if limit is 10) are, in chronological order: Friedman, Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Dawson, Montana, Marino, Favre, P. Manning, Brady. In order of importance: Brady, Marino, Graham, P. Manning, Baugh, Friedman, Unitas, Montana, Favre, Dawson. If 12 are allowed, add Brees and Steve Young. Brees or Rodgers is a coin flip.
TanksAndSpartans

Just popped into my head 100/22 isn’t the right calculation.

Might be more like 100/16 = 6.25. Would you want 6 punters? Not sure.

QB, HB, FB, WR, TE, G, T, C, DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, K, P

Looking at the lists posted for help, here's my ordered prediction:

1 Brady
2 Montana
3 P. Manning
4 Unitas
5 Brees
6 Graham
7 Elway
8 Rodgers
9 Favre
10 Baugh

Baugh may be wishful thinking - I think they may like Marino and Staubach. Might leave off Favre.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Just popped into my head 100/22 isn’t the right calculation.

Might be more like 100/16 = 6.25. Would you want 6 punters? Not sure.

QB, HB, FB, WR, TE, G, T, C, DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, K, P
Of what you're trying to calculate, if you think of it as a "team", as it purports to be, obviously no pro team has 100 players but that's basically like two teams of 50 players each. If there was two actual teams of 50 you'd have 3 QB's on each team for a total of 6. Though QB being QB, and because in reality if you had 50 players a lot would be on the squad for special teams purposes, if you want to make it 4 per that'd still be 8.

As it is (and if it were two teams of players):
QB: 10 (5 QB's per team)
RB: 12 (6 per)
WR: 10 (5 per)
TE: 5 (2.5 per)
OT: 7 (3.5 per)
OG: 7 (3.5 per)
C: 4 (2 per)
DE: 7 (3.5 per)
DT: 7 (3.5 per)
MLB/ILB: 6 (3 per)
OLB: 6 (3 per)