NFL 100th anniversary

Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: NFL 100th anniversary

Post by Ken Crippen »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I was contacted over the summer by someone from the league inquiring about Buffalo's Canisius Villa (where the All-Americans played their first few years) and the possibility of shooting some footage there as part of a series of pieces to be done in each of the original franchise cities. We spoke a couple of times but haven't heard anything in a while. She said she'd get back to me, but ...
That same person also contacted me about overall NFL stuff (she mentioned you). Like you, we talked a few times, but...
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

JohnTurney wrote:Gotta disagree on logo. 1989 called, and wants its design style back
It does seem to be busy with a lot of different elements-- blue object on a red background, red and white comet streak moving across from bottom left to upper right to suggest soaring, where have I seen that before? Buffalo perhaps?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Gotta disagree on logo. 1989 called, and wants its design style back
It does seem to be busy with a lot of different elements-- blue object on a red background, red and white comet streak moving across from bottom left to upper right to suggest soaring, where have I seen that before? Buffalo perhaps?
Yeah, it's a terrible design. Cluttered and lacking a focal point.
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I was contacted over the summer by someone from the league inquiring about Buffalo's Canisius Villa (where the All-Americans played their first few years) and the possibility of shooting some footage there as part of a series of pieces to be done in each of the original franchise cities. We spoke a couple of times but haven't heard anything in a while. She said she'd get back to me, but ...
It would be funny to see the league visit the site that Normal Park sat on in Chicago. The Cardinals' former stomping grounds are now in one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods. According to my research there were eight different fields in Chicago that hosted at least one game involving a league team during the NFL's inaugural year.

In regards to the logo, I think it badly misses the mark. It doesn't convey any sort of historical or nostalgic memory.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Does anyone remember Activision games for the Atari 2600? They used to have this thing where if you achieved a high score set by the standards in the instruction manual, you could take a picture of your TV and send it in and they would send you a patch. They never had a football game, but I think I now have a pretty good idea idea what the patch for scoring 100 points in a football game would have looked like. Here are a few of them:
patches-2.jpg
patches-2.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 11213 times
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Don't like the 100 logo.

Looks like a USA Football designed youth football promotion.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Just to be nit-picky next year is the 100th season NOT the 100th anniversary - that's in 2020.
Yes, the logo is awful. Nothing historic about it - all about the future. Typical of the NFL.