HOF Class of 2018 Named

Jay Z

Re: HOF Class of 2018 Named

Post by Jay Z »

Let me say I prefer the Football HOF (and others) to what the Baseball HOF does. There should be a number of players elected each year that is pretty much set. I just have no time anymore for the "I want a small HOF" arguments in baseball. Everyone voting has to be voting on the same thing, not self-determining what the HOF should be.

That being said, I really have no idea who is first ballot in Pro Football HOF and who is not. It's a committee vote anyway, not a vote of a larger group. Maybe that's why I don't care.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Something that surprises me if the lack of supoort for Alan Faneca the past couple of years. For me, he was the best guard I've seen after John Hannah's retirement. I know he will eventually enter the HOF, but maybe he and Steve Hutchinson will battle for an enshrinment spot every year.

And even that this was Joe Jacoby's last chance before the Senior Pool, Mike Kenn should take his place as a finalist (in his last try) next year.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:Something that surprises me if the lack of supoort for Alan Faneca the past couple of years. For me, he was the best guard I've seen after John Hannah's retirement. I know he will eventually enter the HOF, but maybe he and Steve Hutchinson will battle for an enshrinment spot every year.

And even that this was Joe Jacoby's last chance before the Senior Pool, Mike Kenn should take his place as a finalist (in his last try) next year.
I was somewhat surprised that none of the regular offensive linemen made it in, but I can't really complain with any of the selections. I remember Ron Wolf saying something like "Gale Gillingham should be in the Hall of Fame, and I guess there are some people who think Jerry Kramer should be in the Hall of Fame."
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnTurney wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Congrats to the electees! I too agree each member elected deserved to be in the HoF.

@JohnTurney - At the end of the day, does it really matter if an exceptional player is a first-ballot electee or is elected a year or two later? They are in the HoF.
Answer: It used to matter. The "First-ballot HOF" descriptor will be used forever. And it has traditionally been applied to the best of the best. When you read books, magazines, online articles, watch a "30 for 30" or "America's Game" those who got in on the first try get the title, as it were, of "First-ballot Hall of Fame". Just Google it and see the results.

So, if players get that honor that are questionable it loses meaning. The only caveot is there are some voters, for example, and others, but let's focus on voters who likely truly think Moss or Urlacher or Jason Taylor or Jackie Slater are first-ballot players. But they never will debate because they got what they wanted, they are lifelong buddies with the player and would never bother to debate lowlifes like members of the PFRA.

So, yes, it used to matter to me. And it used to matter to those who earned it. But if everyone gets it, it means less.
Thanks for answering my questions. So I would tend to believe you think the HoF is lowering its standards by this?