New NFL Network Top 10 Greatest Teams

TanksAndSpartans

Re: New NFL Network Top 10 Greatest Teams

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: As for pre-’60s, any late-’40s/’50s Browns squad as already mentioned, a ’50s Lions installment? ’46 Rams? ’47 Cards? a Halas team? Etc.

A top ten regardless of eras is very tough. But a pre-’78 one and a since-’78 one...not too much easier.
I agree that picking teams regardless of era is really tough. I'd break it at least in two as well. I'd take the '49 Eagles over both the ’46 Rams and ’47 Cards. The 20s and 30s seasons often ended in dramatic and even controversial (prior to championship games) fashion and in my opinion a team that makes this list should win in a way that there is relatively little suspense to it. The 22/23/24 Bulldogs were pretty dominant, the '29 Packers come to mind as well.

Having lived through the '85 Bears, it was hard to picture them losing even as a Dolphins fan. Interestingly, its possible the Bears jump out to me before the 49ers because they only had the one great season whereas SF had multiple.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Citizen wrote:It's ridiculous to include teams that didn't win a championship. 2004 Patriots are a sketchy choice as well. And of course it's doubly ridiculous that there are no teams from before 1962, but that's our beloved NFLN for you.
All of this.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Jay Z wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Saw it last night for the very first time. It’s a new one, from 2017.

Here was the countdown...

10) ’92 Cowboys
9) ’68 Colts
8) ’04 Patriots
7) ’98 Broncos
6) ’85 Bears
5) ’62 Packers
4) ’72 Dolphins
3) ’07 Patriots
2) ’78 Steelers
1) ’89 Forty Niners

Thoughts?
Would take off '78 Steelers in favor of '75 Steelers. Would take off '89 Forty Niners in favor of '84 Forty Niners. Would take off last three in favor of 1999 Rams, 1991 Redskins, 1996 Packers.

1968 Colts had a great point differential, so I think they are worth considering. SB III knocks them off, though.
Shame on me for not mentioning ’84 Forty Niners who, like that much more-heralded team a year later, were also 15-1. And I’ve already commented here about actually preferring their underrated D over Bears. IMO, ’89 is still better; they had weapons in Rice, Taylor, Jones, and Craig at peak-of-powers if only for that one more year. Don’t really see 1989’s D as any lesser than 1984’s; both superb. 1994 you may have to shove in there as well making it three SF squads.

’83 Raiders, #1 Raider team IMO, weren’t mentioned. Madden’s 13-1 ’76 installment not mentioned either. ’75 Steelers? ’66 Packers? ’02 Bucs? ’13 Hawks? If ’09 Saints don’t lose last three, perhaps they’re deep into consideration.

Yes, SBIII has to knock off Colts. They had no reason to be ‘uptight’ before that game. Namath’s boast should have fired them up like nobody’s business! Same with ’07 Pats. Going into playoffs, they weren’t that great; barely beat Jags and an undermanned SD team at home. Had Colts not suffered yet another playoff upset, Pats don’t even make SB IMO.

As for pre-’60s, any late-’40s/’50s Browns squad as already mentioned, a ’50s Lions installment? ’46 Rams? ’47 Cards? a Halas team? Etc.

A top ten regardless of eras is very tough. But a pre-’78 one and a since-’78 one...not too much easier.
If you want to go way back, how about the 1929 Packers?
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

The natural largest line of demarcation should be between one and two platoon teams, possibly carving out the war years, but the 51 Browns really should be compared to the 07 Pats. The 32 Bears, not so much.
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: ’83 Raiders, #1 Raider team IMO, weren’t mentioned. Madden’s 13-1 ’76 installment not mentioned either.
I am curious why you think that way. The '83 team may be better but they did lose four times. The '76 team only lost once. I will note that the '83 team went 7-1 after Mike Haynes joined the team. That stretch of Raiders football was maybe their best ever. They were 8-3 before Haynes.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Citizen wrote:It's ridiculous to include teams that didn't win a championship. 2004 Patriots are a sketchy choice as well. And of course it's doubly ridiculous that there are no teams from before 1962, but that's our beloved NFLN for you.
Well, winning things does not matter to a lot of people. Over there in the college football, the geniuses only had to select four teams to play in the playoffs and they picked one which finished in second place in a division of a conference.

See, if I was in charge of determining the college football playoffs and it only had four teams, the rule would be you are not considered unless you win your own conference. With me, it would only become a "beauty contest" if I am really torn between two conference champions for the 4th and final spot.

But like this NFLN list, a lot of people do not want to make things easier and more sensible. They just want to muck it up from the start.

"Oh, that team lost? Big whoop. I liked them. They scored a lot of points. 3rd best team all-time! I don't care that they finished as giant losers."
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:
Well, winning things does not matter to a lot of people. Over there in the college football, the geniuses only had to select four teams to play in the playoffs and they picked one which finished in second place in a division of a conference.

See, if I was in charge of determining the college football playoffs and it only had four teams, the rule would be you are not considered unless you win your own conference. With me, it would only become a "beauty contest" if I am really torn between two conference champions for the 4th and final spot.

But like this NFLN list, a lot of people do not want to make things easier and more sensible. They just want to muck it up from the start.

"Oh, that team lost? Big whoop. I liked them. They scored a lot of points. 3rd best team all-time! I don't care that they finished as giant losers."
Agree with all of this, too.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

[/quote]If you want to go way back, how about the 1929 Packers?[/quote]

Wow...insane body-of-work! 12-0-1, 8 shutouts including the double one at Frankford, two (back to back) in which they allow just a safety, and three in which they allow just 6 (3 TDs total, not a single PAT allowed all year)!
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Like Ralph, I had the '29 Packers too maybe because I'm currently reading Vagabond Halfback :)
LJP

Post by LJP »

1941 Bears should be on that list.