If you had to pick one player, past or present...

TanksAndSpartans

Re: If you had to pick one player, past or present...

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Hard to argue against Thorpe or Brown, but if you think of this as a fantasy draft, I'm thinking the key positions go first and there would be enough running backs to go around :)

But with the qualification "the era that he played in", then Thorpe is a perfect choice - no one dominated an era like Thorpe dominated the pre-NFL era.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Fri May 12, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

A few USC guys...OJ, Marcus Allen, Troy Polamalu.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

George Blanda. Pretty much set at the backup QB/placekicker position for the next 26 years.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

In the two-way era: Baugh & Bednarik utter shoe-ins! Thorpe...Nagurski...Nomellini...
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

If in an era of two-platoon/free substitution football ....

- If my goal is to build fanbase in a hurry, Brett Favre;

- If my goal is to win a lot of games over this player's career, Payton Manning;

- If my goal is post-season success over this player's career, Bart Starr or Tom Brady;
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Alan Page.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Todd Pence wrote:Alan Page.
I was thinking a lineman - Alan Page, Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Reggie White, or on the offensive side, maybe an Anthony Munoz or Forrest Gregg. He would have to be the lynchpin, a guy who will come to define the entire organization. Intelligent, hard-working, a leader who leads thru example and serves as a role model for the other players on the team to strive to be like, on and off the field. Guys like them come along maybe once or twice a decade.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:Alan Page.
I was thinking a lineman - Alan Page, Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Reggie White, or on the offensive side, maybe an Anthony Munoz or Forrest Gregg. He would have to be the lynchpin, a guy who will come to define the entire organization. Intelligent, hard-working, a leader who leads thru example and serves as a role model for the other players on the team to strive to be like, on and off the field. Guys like them come along maybe once or twice a decade.
I would have chosen Bruce Smith. When he came to Buffalo, the Bills were then the laughing stock of the NFL, just a shadow of 4-5 years earlier with Chuck Knox. He immediatily made the team better (and remember, it was before Marv Levy or Jim Kelly joined the Bills).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I love the Cal Hubbard mention and Joe Greene did have a championship franchise built around him.
But as much as I love line play and linemen I can't help but think a QB or RB is a better first building block.

On a team of average players (all Cs) an outstanding (A+) quarterback or running back would be more influential and effective than an OT or DT.
I guess your choice would come down to what position do you want to build around.
And that answer may well be different for different coaches/approaches and, of course, eras.

But in my heart I want to answer Thorpe or Bednarik.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote:I love the Cal Hubbard mention and Joe Greene did have a championship franchise built around him.
But as much as I love line play and linemen I can't help but think a QB or RB is a better first building block.

On a team of average players (all Cs) an outstanding (A+) quarterback or running back would be more influential and effective than an OT or DT.
I guess your choice would come down to what position do you want to build around.
And that answer may well be different for different coaches/approaches and, of course, eras.

But in my heart I want to answer Thorpe or Bednarik.
The problem with starting off with a top-notch QB or RB is that it leaves the line exposedm which means that there's no one that can consistently block for them, which means that their productivity is usually wasted.