HOF Safety Talk

DukeSlater

Re: HOF Safety Talk

Post by DukeSlater »

Lake was a damn good all-around player, but I cannot see him being a HOFer, either.

It irked me that Darren Woodson was a semi-finalist (I think) last year, and the names mentioned above have not been close (sans Lynch and Atwater).

I think Nolan Cromwell is just as deserving as Darren Woodson.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Here's what I've got for the safeties mentioned. Seniors first. Includes honors and in three cases, Ken Crippen's site gradings:

Bobby Dillon 5/4/none 7.7
Jimmy Patton 5/5/none
Johnny Robinson 6/7/allAFL 8.2
Eddie Meador 3/6/60s. 7.7
Cliff Harris 4/6/70s
Donnie Shell 3/5/none
Kenny Easley 4/5/80s
Deron Cherry 3/6/80s
Joey Browner 4/6/80s
Nolan Cromwell 3/4/80s
Jake Scott 4/5/none
Jack Tatum 0/3/none

They're all pretty close in honors, with Shell and Cromwell probably a notch below the rest and Tatum not even remotely belonging in the conversation. Robinson clearly has a leg up on Crippen's site, scoring the highest score of anyone looked at; Reaser anecdotally has mentioned here that Easley would be elite if a report were posted.

So who gets in? Robinson and Easley would have to be at the head of the line. No way on Tatum, period. Less taken with Cromwell or Scott, could go either way on Shell, would be fine with the rest in.

For regularly eligible folks, none in yet

Carnell Lake 2/5/90s
Tim McDonald 2/6/none
Dennis Smith 2/6/none
Darren Sharper 4/5/00s
Darren Woodson 4/5/none
John Lynch 3/9/none
Steve Atwater 2/8/90s
Leroy Butler 4/4/90s
Troy Polamalu 4/8/00s
Brian Dawkins 5/9/00s
Ed Reed 7/9/00s

For me, the class of this group would be Reed, Dawkins, and Polamalu in descending order -- all are clearly HoF deserving. Lake, McDonald, and Smith look to be a notch below the rest, and for me not HoFers. Sharper would be competitive but he's not likely getting in because of bad behavior. My guess is that Butler, Woodson, Lynch, and Atwater make up the large hall group in the middle, and I'm fine with any of them.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Excellent post, Bachs.

I do think Tatum could strongly be argued in Canton, because of the way he intimidated folks. People were timid to go across the middle with #32 at free safety.

Also, I think his reputation cost him some individual accolades.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

What about Dick Anderson? Nobody ever talks about him (not from what I hear, anyway).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

A player in the "what if" category who could have been in this list is Gary Barbaro, who played for Kansas City from 1976-1982 (he started every game during his 7 seasons in KC), then jumped to the USFL with the New Jersey Generals where he only played one season before retiring at the age of 29. Barbaro went to the Pro Bowl in his 3 final NFL seasons, with 2 NEA All-Pro selections, but he easily could have been chosen also in 1977 and 1979. He is one of seven players in NFL-AFL history with at least 4 seasons with 130+ interception return yards. Does anyone know why he retired so soon?

Another safety who retired early was Tommy Casanova, who played with Cincinnati from 1972-1977 and also was chosen to three Pro Bowls and was consensus All-Pro in 1976, but he retired to continue his medical career.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Versatile John wrote:What about Dick Anderson? Nobody ever talks about him (not from what I hear, anyway).
Probably HotVG level player, honors are 3/3/70s, was DPOY in 1973, 9 year career maybe a tad short. I tend to lump him with his teammate Jake Scott (4/5/none, also 9 year career) which may or may not be fair to do.

They might be one of the best safety duos to play together, though. Any rivals that can be brought up?
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith.

Donnie Shell and Mike Wagner.

Ronnie Lott and Carlton Williamson (briefly as Lott was a corner for the first few years of his career).

Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters.

Glen Edwards (underrated, IMO) and Wagner.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Dave Grayson is another guy I have always thought gets shortchanged a bit.

As a corner and safety, he was a fabulous player that never gets his just due, IMO.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Christiansen and Lary.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

It was only for two years, but Leroy Butler and Eugene Robinson were a pretty good pair. 2 years, 2 Super Bowls. Butler made All Pro both years, while Robinson had six interceptions in 1996.