Odell Beckham Jr.: jerk

Reaser

Re: Odell Beckham Jr.: jerk

Post by Reaser »

Glad JWL pointed out a couple - not all - of the other Beckham incidents since everywhere is acting like this is something new or that he just did these things yesterday.

Not new, not all that infrequent. The 'punch' (open hand) he does he did last year and has done multiple times this year.

It doesn't really bother me, other than officials see it and do nothing while some players would get ejected and almost every other player would get get a flag (discounting the penalties he got yesterday) ...

Also went on a huge rant on the old forums (pre-Beckham) about how 'spectacular' catches with the gloves were not that impressive. Then posted after Beckham's catch trying to explain, only a few 'got it'. Not a fan of Rick Reilly but that was my favorite segment of his, hopefully everyone understands now - Beckham is a great athlete, fast and ridiculous vertical, but the actual act of catching the ball is not that impressive or at a minimum much less impressive to people that understand than it is to people who don't have a clue.

Beckham v. Rams, Beckham involved so the example makes sense. Rams involved so Bryan isn't incorrect, either. No one is surprised when a Fisher team is involved, just as no one - prior to yesterday - should have been surprised by Beckham. Though evidently most people haven't seen 'it' before, judging by the national response.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:Beckham v. Rams, Beckham involved so the example makes sense. Rams involved so Bryan isn't incorrect, either.
I admit, the Rams commentary from Bryan is fair. But Beckham Jr. was not an angel that day.

Although I am not condoning either action, the initial takedown of Beckham Jr. was not a big deal to me and then OBJ's slap a few moments later wasn't even a big deal although the latter often draws a flag. Everything after that was nuts.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

NBC announced:

NFL suspends Odell Beckham one game

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

If what Beckham did was serious enough to be suspended (and I'm not saying it wasn't)
why didn't the officials eject him? Shouldn't the officials be penalized for not being
able to control the players?
JWL

Post by JWL »

John Grasso wrote:If what Beckham did was serious enough to be suspended (and I'm not saying it wasn't)
why didn't the officials eject him? Shouldn't the officials be penalized for not being
able to control the players?
The league stated that OBJ should have been ejected.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

The supposedly "tough" coach Tom Coughlin did nothing to discipline Beckham earlier in the game when it was obvious he was not playing under any kind of control.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I long for the days when such behavior was "corrected" on the field, by the players.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:I long for the days when such behavior was "corrected" on the field, by the players.
Yes! This.
JuggernautJ

Problem self-corrected

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:I long for the days when such behavior was "corrected" on the field, by the players.
Yes! This.
I don't remember the circumstances... if it was a League game or a sandlot game but this brings to mind the time...

I was playing center and pass blocking.
My man was out of the play when I saw the quarterback cock his arm to throw. I could see his target and the whole play laid out before my eyes (as center I was probably the only player on the field other than the QB who knew everyone's assignment on every play).

The X receiver, Taz, had run an out between the short and deep defensive zones on the left side.
All the other motion of the play was to the right side.

If Taz caught the ball he would have only the left safety between himself and the end zone.

Our quarterback, Marlon Brown, always grunted when he released the ball.
He said it was from Kung Fu training but I think he got it from Jimmy Conners. Anyway, Marlon had not yet grunted so I knew he hadn't yet thrown the ball. I took off towards Taz at full speed, aiming at a spot about five yards ahead of where he was. Marlon grunted.
I raced the ball to the spot of the catch.

Taz caught the ball somewhere around the opponents forty yard line and turned up-field. Just ahead of him the safety had broken down and was squared up in front of Taz, about to make the stop.

I came flying in from nowhere and just crushed the safety. I remember the hit because for the first and only time my entire right arm went dead from the shoulder down. The numbness only lasted a few plays but it was a memorable occurrence.

Taz, who suddenly had an unimpeded path to the end zone, jogged to the one, turned to face the field and, with his heels at the goal line proceeded to do the Billy White Shoes Johnson TD dance and talk trash to the opposition.

Taz was a tall blond kid with wild hair. He lived up to his name. If you pictured a young Crocodile Dundee doing a touchdown dance you wouldn't be far off from what I saw.

I had exited the field at full speed at about the thirty five yard line and looped back towards the field of play (looking for any more defensive stragglers to impact).
I reentered the field at about the fifteen just in time to see Taz grab his crotch and gesticulate in the general direction of the safety I had annihilated. Taz still hadn't crossed the goal line.

With all the momentum from my race downfield I plowed into my teammate Taz with my (left) shoulder to the middle of his chest and drove him three or four yards into the end zone.
Touchdown our team.

Taz got up ready to fight but I quickly pointed out it was the linemen who got the brunt of his showboating and he calmed down.
"Besides," I said "You didn't do anything on that play but catch a ten yard out."
Taz didn't disagree.

I don't recall Taz ever again exhibiting poor sportsmanship in all the years we played together.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

That's awesome.

Teammate(s) handling it is the best way but opponents doesn't bother me at all, either. If the officials are going to stand around and not do anything then players "policing" themselves is acceptable. To me, it's actually preferable. Football justice.