Strangely 'close' playoff games

Reaser

Re: Strangely 'close' playoff games

Post by Reaser »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:How about Seattle/Cincy '88
I was pretty young but even as a kid I was embarrassed by Joe Nash repeatedly being 'injured' ...

That game wasn't all that close, the first half was one sided and it wasn't until the 4th quarter that Seattle showed any signs of life. It was only 'close' for the amount of time it took after Krieg's TD for Norm to miss the pat, then it was over.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:And who can forget the Coz's 8-8 Jets losing by only a TD at a pretty great Houston squad in '91?
Those 1991 Jets... what a strange team.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

1985: The 8-8 Browns lead the 12-4 Dolphins 21-3 in the third quarter before collapsing to lose 24-21.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

'72 Dolphins-Browns?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Reaser wrote:'72 Dolphins-Browns?
Definitely, since the Browns (13-point underdogs) led with eight minutes to go, and had first down at the Miami 35 with 1:15 left, trailing 20-14. Mike Phipps was then picked off for the fifth time.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote:Inspired by SB VI highlights, where Duane Thomas and Walt Garrison seemingly rush for 200 yards in the first half but then Garo Yepremian makes a FG and the Dolphins only trail 10-3...here are some postseason games that I thought to be strangely close for at least part of the game.

Steelers-Colts, 1975 AFC divisional playoff - At home against an overmatched Colts team, the Steelers outgain Baltimore nearly 2-to-1, in part due to Bert Jones getting injured early in the game. Yet in the 2nd half the Colts were up 10-7, and in the 4th quarter the Colts were only down 14-10. I think Mel Blount intercepted Marty Domres in Pittsburgh territory, which led to a clinching Terry Bradshaw TD. Domres was so terrible (2-11, 9 yards, 1 TD 2 INT) that Marchibroda put Jones back in the game despite Jones' right arm being numb, which led to Andy Russell's long TD return of a Jones' fumble. Surprised that the Steelers had such hard time putting away a young Colts team that had Marty Domres at QB. Honorable mention goes to other AFC divisional game, where the Raiders nearly blew a 31-14 4th quarter lead to the Bengals.
The Steelers had 5 turnovers and also lost the ball on downs. Both of the Colts' scoring drives started on the Steelers' 19 yard line. One was set up a Lloyd Mumphord INT in Colt territory which he returned 56 yards, the other by a Franco Harris fumble. Harris also fumbled another ball that went through the end zone for a touchback in the second half. For the Colts' part, the TD that put the Steelers ahead to stay 14-10 happened when Mel Blount intercepted Domres and returned the ball to the Colts' 7.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Please excuse the post that I originally had posted here. I had two forums open at the same time and forgot which one I was posting to! :oops:
Pat McDonald

Post by Pat McDonald »

'78 Falcons v Eagles. I still cannot believe Atlanta won this game, much less had the Cowboys on the ropes and lost week later. Vermeil chose not to replace Nick Mike-Mayer following his injury and went with punter Mike Michel as the PK. In the final 4 regular season games Mike-Mayer was injured, the Eagles attempted zero field goals. Michel was an alarming 9/12 on XP. For those who do not know the rest, Google it :)
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Cowboys-Broncos, SB XII- Denver's offense was terrible, yet Denver was still in the game in the 4th period, down only 20-10 with Norris Weese able to (somewhat) move the Bronco offense. Strange that a Butch Johnson fumble and recovery of a punt in the 2nd half could have changed the game had Denver recovered, considering how dominant the Cowboys were.

well Dallas did get a few breaks, thys had six fumbles, lost 2, Denver lost all 4 fumbles. The Butch Johnson TD "catch" was proper under rules at the time (I think) and then Denver did get beat on the running back pass for a TD . . . but Dallas dominated Denver offense, and finally the defense gave up scores, but Denver's offense was jusyt pounded, poor RBs, so-so QB, Oline, Haven Moses may have been best Bronco offensive player . . . .
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Bears/Saints '90? SF/Wash '92? Hawks/Wash '05? Bears/Hawks '06?

And how about Vikes/Cards '98? Only 34-21 in the 4th FWIW.