USFL Box Scores/Game Logs

BD Sullivan

Re: USFL Box Scores/Game Logs

Post by BD Sullivan »

In 1984, ABC was ready to offer the league a decent-sized contract that would at least keep them a viable option in the spring. When they announced plans to move to the fall, ABC dropped any consideration of a new contract.

The LA Express' ridiculous spending also played a role in the demise. They put together a great collection of players that nobody wanted to watch.
Bryan

Re: USFL Box Scores/Game Logs

Post by Bryan »

single wing wrote:I think the USFL had a real chance for success after year one. However,
i think in year two when Trump bought in, they expanded by 6 teams,
and switched the Chicago-Arizona teams were the steps that started
the beginning of the end.
The USFL was a great league, and I think the concept of spring football on a lower budget could still exist/thrive today. I think two steps that started the beginning of the end happened in year one. The USFL's initial plan was to mirror the AFL...start small, sign players out of college, develop your own superstars over time. Each team's informal budget was based on the TV contract and a conservative paid attendance estimate. George Allen and the Chicago Blitz immediately "overspent", signing numerous NFL veterans to large contracts. Not only did it throw the competitive balance out of whack, it also showed that the USFL group did not have the unity of the old AFL group. Then during the first season, the Michigan Panthers basically signed the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line, and then went on to win the title. The raiding of NFL rosters would continue throughout the existence of the USFL, driving up costs while the TV contracts remained modest.

I agree that bringing Trump in and over-expanding in exchange for the quick "franchise fee" cash did irreparable damage to the USFL, but it seemed like the USFL would have spent itself into oblivion even prior to Trump's arrival. Just my $0.02.