Big Ben-era Steelers HOF

Rupert Patrick

Re: Big Ben-era Steelers HOF

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Hail Casares wrote:Faneca, Troy P, and Big Ben all get in. So does Bettis.

Since he was mentioned earlier I'd put Rivers in as well.
The problem with Rivers, as I see it, is Eli Manning. Eli has not yet passed the Bus Test, but winning two Super Bowls (both upsets, one of them the biggest upset since Namath beating the Colts in Super Bowl III) in New York is going to be a huge point in his favor. He's also never missed a start since his rookie season, and is already well into the top 20 in the career passing stats although it could be said he is something of a compiler as his career record as a starter is 90-75 and his stats are steady but above average. Not Peyton Manning, not Philip Rivers, but above average, and he has a rep for throwing too many picks. Provided Eli remains healthy another 5-7 years, his career totals will be impressive but nowhere near his brother, but I figure they will be in the Vinny Testaverde range. Is a Vinny Testaverde with two Super Bowl rings, both for leading his team to come from behind victories in the last 90 seconds of play, a HOVG type or a HOFer? I think if Eli stays healthy he goes into Canton, and if he should happen to win another Super Bowl it will be a no-brainer.

As far as how this affects Rivers, without a SB ring, I think he comes up short.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Hail Casares wrote:Faneca, Troy P, and Big Ben all get in. So does Bettis.

Since he was mentioned earlier I'd put Rivers in as well.
The problem with Rivers, as I see it, is Eli Manning. Eli has not yet passed the Bus Test, but winning two Super Bowls (both upsets, one of them the biggest upset since Namath beating the Colts in Super Bowl III) in New York is going to be a huge point in his favor. He's also never missed a start since his rookie season, and is already well into the top 20 in the career passing stats although it could be said he is something of a compiler as his career record as a starter is 90-75 and his stats are steady but above average. Not Peyton Manning, not Philip Rivers, but above average, and he has a rep for throwing too many picks. Provided Eli remains healthy another 5-7 years, his career totals will be impressive but nowhere near his brother, but I figure they will be in the Vinny Testaverde range. Is a Vinny Testaverde with two Super Bowl rings, both for leading his team to come from behind victories in the last 90 seconds of play, a HOVG type or a HOFer? I think if Eli stays healthy he goes into Canton, and if he should happen to win another Super Bowl it will be a no-brainer.

As far as how this affects Rivers, without a SB ring, I think he comes up short.
"Above average" does not mean "Hall of Fame." I simply don't see how Eli qualifies and I don't see how another 5-7 years of being a little better than mediocre will get him there. His interception rate is well above average, his completion percentage has been below the league average almost every season he's played, and HIS TEAM won one Super Bowl because of a lucky catch of a desperation pass that never should have been thrown (plus an outstanding defensive effort).
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Eli doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for holding the Patriots to two TDs in those games, while at the same time leading his team to two of the lowest-scoring offensive outputs in Super Bowl history. Oh wait... maybe he gets altogether too much credit for those wins.

(You can sign me, "Still Bitter"....)