The Jets of the 80's...best Super Bowl shot?

sheajets

Re: The Jets of the 80's...best Super Bowl shot?

Post by sheajets »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Thanks Bryan ... one of the reasons I believe Arnsparger should be in the HOF as an assistant--along with Shaughnessy--was his ability to design defenses to stop the pass.
I would wholeheartedly endorse Arnsparger for the HOF. I think he was the best D-coordinator in NFL history, bar none (or as Don Maynard said, "bar anyone").
His departure from Miami after the 1983 season was a big reason why the team declined by the mid-80's.
And when he returned to San Diego in 1992 their defense went from somewhere in the bottom third of the league to the top 5. They won a division title and a playoff game, and in 1994 they got to the Super Bowl. He's mostly remembered for his work with the Dolphins but he was an important part of the Chargers nice little window of 1992-1994 too.
Brian wolf

Re: The Jets of the 80's...best Super Bowl shot?

Post by Brian wolf »

Arnsparger is deserving. His Baltimore Zone defense and defenses with the Dolphins helped create cover-2, which the Steelers also perfected. These defenses turned the 70s into the dead ball era which Shula helped end with the rules changes ...