A Mystery 49er from 1974

Evan

A Mystery 49er from 1974

Post by Evan »

Okay, I need the Forum's help for this one. I came across this fellow in the NFL Films highlights of a 1974 Oakland at San Francisco game, but I have no idea who he is (he looks kind of like Forrest Blue and Larry Schreiber, but is neither one).

There is no No. 50 for SF in the OAK-SF gamebook, and if his number is actually 58, that was Bill McKoy, who I believe did not look like this guy at all (please correct me if I'm wrong).

According to Pro Football Reference, there was a No. 50 who played for SF later in the year, Ceasar Belser, which is a very odd number for him as he wore no. 24 as a DB for KC earlier in his career. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... lsCe20.htm.

So two questions:

1. Can anybody identify this mystery No. 50 for the 1974 49ers?
2. Just curious, why would Caesar Belser be assigned a No. 50 as a DB ... or is that a mistake, as in, he did not wear No. 50, or whoever wore No. 50 was not Caesar Belser?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I've exhausted all other research options I'm aware of!
Attachments
SF-74-unknown.jpg
SF-74-unknown.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 11837 times
MatthewToy

Re: A Mystery 49er from 1974

Post by MatthewToy »

Did a google image search on Caesar Belser and it's definitely not him. Mr. Belser is black. Unfortunately that's all I got.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

This might be an absurd notion, but here goes. If the image in the highlight film is from stock footage from a previous season, it might be Ed Beard. Beard was a LB for the 49ers from 1965-1972 and wore #50. Mustache, sideburns, hair color. Even the part in the hair is on the same side. Not sure when this photo was taken.
Ed Beard.jpg
Ed Beard.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 11815 times
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Wendell02 wrote:This might be an absurd notion, but here goes. If the image in the highlight film is from stock footage from a previous season, it might be Ed Beard. Beard was a LB for the 49ers from 1965-1972 and wore #50. Mustache, sideburns, hair color. Even the part in the hair is on the same side. Not sure when this photo was taken.
Ed Beard.jpg
That's what I was thinking - they simply threw in some footage from another season or even the preseason game (but Beard retired on Aug. 15 and the preseason game was Sept. 2).

And Belser wore #50 (and #65) for the 49ers in 1974 because they had him playing LB.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Wow, that's some serious detective work fellas, thanks a million!

I think that must be Ed Beard. I wonder if there was any chance he snuck in to that 1974 Oak-SF game somehow, perhaps as a last-minute replacement of some kind. I only wonder as I wasn't aware that NFL Films used the "filler stock footage" on their team highlights, it seems like all that stuff is from the year it is reviewing. But I suppose anything is possible.

If you want the context, the shot is at the 12:23 portion of this 1974 Raiders highlights film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCR4dzqsLjw

Thanks again, I really can't believe you all came up with that stuff.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I'm going to say stock footage from a previous season because in 74 SF had a slightly different jersey number font than in the early 70s. But they could easily have had a few players wearing the older jerseys since a lot of teams then had mismatched jerseys.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Taking stock footage from a prior season isn't that unusual. Editors need a tired sad old face to tell the story of defeat...OK, here's a good one.
Also, in 1974 the Niners had iron on numbers and Ed's are sewn on.