Uniform numbers

JWL

Re: Uniform numbers

Post by JWL »

By the way, I actually like when guys wear oddball numbers. I am just saying I am surprised the league doesn't make the players switch numbers when they change positions.

I was a little bummed when Leonard Williams switched from 62 to 92 when the regular season started. It would be nice to see a stud defensive lineman with a number in the 60s. We do not see that too often.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Are 0 or 00 allowed again? I thought that was cool.
JWL

Post by JWL »

LeCharles Bentley tried to wear 00 but the league said no.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

LJP wrote:
JWL wrote:
Teo wrote:IIRC Hester was listed as a DB his first season.
I know that is how it started. I am surprised a bit that a grandfather clause was used. If the league is being so strict otherwise, one would think the league would make these players change their numbers. Also, it could only lead to more jersey sales.

Has there ever been a case of players switching jerseys (and numbers) during a game?
Well, in the 1970s running backs Greg Pruitt and Earl Campbell constantly had their jerseys ripped by defenders, so they had to switch jerseys.

In 1978, Frank Lewis of the BIlls caught a 90+yard TD pass at the Orange Bowl and he had a jersey without his "LEWIS" surname.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

NWebster wrote:Are 0 or 00 allowed again? I thought that was cool.
I also liked it very much when Ken Burrough wore 00. The thing that I most liked is that he was the only player at that time (1975-1981) who wore that number, and most interestingly, I never heard a sportscaster quoting the reason why he was allowed to have that number in the first place.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:Are 0 or 00 allowed again? I thought that was cool.
Random, but my friends kid plays in the same youth football league I played in and last week the opposing team's LT was # 00. Was probably more interesting to me than anyone else who saw it.

I wouldn't mind if the NFL just opened it up and let players whatever numbers they wanted, but at a minimum I think they should definitely lessen the restrictions. Make it something like OL/DL have half the numbers (50-99) and QB, RB, DB, etc has 1-49 or something, while allowing exceptions if a player wants a number in the other half.

Always thought the NFL should have let Bush wear #5, it made sense and wouldn't have harmed anything or been totally ridiculous.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JWL wrote:By the way, I actually like when guys wear oddball numbers. I am just saying I am surprised the league doesn't make the players switch numbers when they change positions.

I was a little bummed when Leonard Williams switched from 62 to 92 when the regular season started. It would be nice to see a stud defensive lineman with a number in the 60s. We do not see that too often.
I've seen it happen in some cases. Mike Furrey switched from WR to S with the Rams and changed his number from 82 to 25.

Jason Peters switched from TE to T and changed from 85 to 71. Of course, there was the issue of him having an eligible number.
Last edited by conace21 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I remember as a kid being puzzled by the Dolphins Jim Jensen wearing 11 when he wasn't a QB, kicker or punter.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Jim Jensen was drafted and signed as a Quarterback out of Boston University in 1981. In 1983, the Dolphins drafted Dan Marino.
End of story...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Pat McDonald

Post by Pat McDonald »

I remember a game with the Jets and Colts, late 79 or early 80, where where either Bert Jones or Greg Landry was wearing the other's uniform.