Uniform numbers

NWebster

Uniform numbers

Post by NWebster »

Does anyone know how Vic Beasley is able to wear number 44 for the Falcons. I thought linebackers or defensive ends cannot wear that number. Usually reserved for backs right? Defensive or offensive.
Gary Najman

Re: Uniform numbers

Post by Gary Najman »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... red-40-49/

This year they changed the rule. Also Giants LB Uani Unga has a number in the 40s.
Pat McDonald

Post by Pat McDonald »

JWL

Post by JWL »

What I want to know is why Denard Robinson still wears 16. He wore it his rookie year because he was listed as a QB. That experiment is over, though.

Some college receiver who loves his number (like Treadwell at Ole Miss) should tell his NFL team next year that he is also a kicker and then he will get to wear #1 his whole career.

Keyshawn Johnson wanted to wear #3 and Reggie Bush wanted to wear #5 but the league said no. No problem for Robinson and Devin Hester, though. They had special privileges.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JWL wrote:What I want to know is why Denard Robinson still wears 16. He wore it his rookie year because he was listed as a QB. That experiment is over, though.

Some college receiver who loves his number (like Treadwell at Ole Miss) should tell his NFL team next year that he is also a kicker and then he will get to wear #1 his whole career.

Keyshawn Johnson wanted to wear #3 and Reggie Bush wanted to wear #5 but the league said no. No problem for Robinson and Devin Hester, though. They had special privileges.
IIRC Hester was listed as a DB his first season.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

JWL wrote:What I want to know is why Denard Robinson still wears 16. He wore it his rookie year because he was listed as a QB. That experiment is over, though.
He's a wide receiver and wide receivers are allowed to wear that number.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Something I always ask is this: I believe that in 1973 they outlawed that new defensive linemen wore numbers from 80-89, so why Phil Tabor was assigned number 80 in 1979 by the Giants?
JWL

Post by JWL »

TodMaher wrote:
He's a wide receiver and wide receivers are allowed to wear that number.
Okay, so now he is a receiver. I did not know that. I had thought he was still a running back.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Teo wrote:

IIRC Hester was listed as a DB his first season.
I know that is how it started. I am surprised a bit that a grandfather clause was used. If the league is being so strict otherwise, one would think the league would make these players change their numbers. Also, it could only lead to more jersey sales.
LJP

Post by LJP »

JWL wrote:
Teo wrote:IIRC Hester was listed as a DB his first season.
I know that is how it started. I am surprised a bit that a grandfather clause was used. If the league is being so strict otherwise, one would think the league would make these players change their numbers. Also, it could only lead to more jersey sales.
Jersey sales trump rules!

Hester played CB during the 2006 regular season, recording 11 tackles and 1 pass breakup.

With the Bears switch to a 3-4 D in 2015, DE Jared Allen is now an OLB wearing #69, which doesn't fit the permitted jersey numbers for LBs.

The numbering scheme is somewhat flawed and outdated. Players should be able to wear what they want.

Has there ever been a case of players switching jerseys (and numbers) during a game?