Extra Point Issues

JuggernautJ

Extra Point Issues

Post by JuggernautJ »

I'd had a couple of queries regarding the new XP rules... one of which was answered during this weekend's 49ers/Steelers game.

First, it seems that if there is a penalty on the defense the offense may revise its choice regarding the extra point(s).
The Steelers were kicking the XP (singular) when a penalty on the 49ers moved the ball closer to the goal line. The Steelers revised their choice and instead of going for an XP (singular) from the 10 they elected to try for extra points (plural) from the one yard line (half the distance to the goal from the 2).

It was implied this is only the case if the defense commits the foul.
So if you were going for 2 and had a false start you would still have to go for 2 from the 7... and not have the option to kick for one from the 20.

My other question is this:
If a team declares they are going for 2 may they really try for 1?
Suppose... just suppose, you've declared you're going for two points and line up in the shotgun at the two yard line. Your QB surveys the defense and realizes he can't score from this formation...
...and suppose your quarterback's name is Flutie...
can the QB still drop kick for an single XP?
Reaser

Re: Extra Point Issues

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:My other question is this:
If a team declares they are going for 2 may they really try for 1?
Suppose... just suppose, you've declared you're going for two points and line up in the shotgun at the two yard line. Your QB surveys the defense and realizes he can't score from this formation...
...and suppose your quarterback's name is Flutie...
can the QB still drop kick for an single XP?
Drop kicks also have to be done from the 15 ...