Suddenly... It's Gambling!

BernardB

Re: Suddenly... It's Gambling!

Post by BernardB »

SixtiesFan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:It'd be hard to swing a cat in Pittsburgh without hitting somebody who still believes, not thinks, believes, that Neil O'Donnell was paid to throw Super Bowl 30.
Who paid him? How much more did O'Donnell get by "throwing" Super Bowl 30 than he would have if he'd been the winning QB?
It is sort of understandable that "homers" defend their team past the point of reason---If one's self-image is closely tied to the success or failure of the team explains, to some extent, why they ignore the obvious and yield to the crazy.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Steviek wrote:Ditto. I had never heard of draftkings a month ago. Now the sheer volume of commercials just wants me to see them fail because it's become intolerable.
According to iSpotTV, which measures national TV ads, DraftKings and FanDuel spent a total of $27 million to advertise in last weekend's games. :shock:
JWL

Post by JWL »

Steviek wrote:Ditto. I had never heard of draftkings a month ago. Now the sheer volume of commercials just wants me to see them fail because it's become intolerable.

I feel the same way. If I decide to ever try the daily fantasy again I would likely do it at one of the lesser sites. You know, the ones that do not advertise every other commercial break. Yahoo has one. USA Today has another, I think. Rich Eisen is advertising one too.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BernardB wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:It'd be hard to swing a cat in Pittsburgh without hitting somebody who still believes, not thinks, believes, that Neil O'Donnell was paid to throw Super Bowl 30.
Who paid him? How much more did O'Donnell get by "throwing" Super Bowl 30 than he would have if he'd been the winning QB?
It is sort of understandable that "homers" defend their team past the point of reason---If one's self-image is closely tied to the success or failure of the team explains, to some extent, why they ignore the obvious and yield to the crazy.
You're right. I used to know a man who was a big sports fan, football especially. When the team he was pulling for (and betting on) lost a Super Bowl, he invariably said "It was fixed." When his team won the Super Bowl, everything was fair and above board.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Steviek » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:41 pm
"Ditto. I had never heard of draftkings a month ago. Now the sheer volume of commercials just wants me to see them fail because it's become intolerable."

Years ago, many brewers began to sell their product(s) in larger cans. They might have been called "king size" cans.

It was thought these were making a return to the market when the first ad was seen so it was ignored.
Twenty-seven million ($27,000,000.00) is a LOT of revenue for one weekend from just two advertisers.

Now you can have your "entertainment" and bet on it too.
It is nigh on to time for a Sherman review.
If The Donald ever makes it, wanna bet he tries to get even for his USFL fiasco?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

You have to scroll through much of a (VERY interesting) article to reach this but The New York Post nails it.
Have they not also sold their souls, their integrity, and their future as a "Sport?" Some say: Yes!

"Not only are they sports gambling operations, but also the sports and their business partners have sold their names, games and licensing rights for a cut of the action."

http://nypost.com/2015/09/17/herm-edwar ... espn-mess/
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister