Suddenly... It's Gambling!

mwald

Re: Suddenly... It's Gambling!

Post by mwald »

Reaser wrote:
mwald wrote:If you forecast every NFL game against the pointspread for a season or two you will learn something about what wins football games that you can learn in no other way.
You learn more about winning football games by winning football games (as a player or as a coach) but sure, not everyone played football ...

My friends and I do pick'em groups for NFL (since 2000) and college (since 2007) and I find picking games easy. Watch football, know what you're watching, pick who will win.

I went 5-0-1 last week in vegas (via my parents), won all 5 college games and got money back taking the Pats +7 (was 6.5 when I saw it but wherever my dad went it was 7) ... They keep trying to send me the money I won but I don't care about money plus I don't really like betting on football, doesn't do a whole lot for me. Just did it for them since they were there and I figured I could give them free spending money.
Like I said, talk is cheap. I'm in an ATS pool. If you're interested, send me a private message. No better way to prove how "easy" it is than backing it up. Entry fee is nominal.

If you think it'll help, you can wear your old shoulder pads.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote: You learn more about winning football games by winning football games (as a player or as a coach) but sure, not everyone played football ...
Sadly, I think I've learned more from the thousands of games I've lost than the thousands of games I've won (as a player and coach).

Of course, winning is a LOT more fun!
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:Sadly, I think I've learned more from the thousands of games I've lost than the thousands of games I've won (as a player and coach).
Absolutely. Lessons go both ways. My comment was in the context of "learning what wins football games", which talk is cheap, not sure how talking about "against the spread" pools is how football games are won?

Personally, I learned about what wins football games by winning football games that I played in (as JuggernautJ said, can learn from losing, too) and by being involved with - coaching or helping in an unofficial capacity - teams that have won football games. No team I've been a part of has ever won a football game by picking a team I didn't play for/coach/otherwise have any connection with to win a game in a weekly pool - then implying I'm an expert on what it takes to win football games.

Talk is cheap, if one knows what it takes to win football games then there should probably be a history of football games won as a player/coach/etc ... Talk is cheap, don't talk about it, be about it, win games in football (or if that's already been done, share that) ... That would make sense to me, but just my opinion.

Of course, the 'experts' apparently 'prove' they know how to win football games not by winning football games, but by being in ATS pools - like the millions of other people that pick football games every week.

Love the football credentials JuggernautJ, thousands on each side of the W/L column?! That's impressive, a lot of history there, you should share it all sometime.

mwald - I'm already in a weekly NFL ATS pool and a straight up group (season). Two with the NFL is more than enough for me. I am only in one college ATS pool though, so if you have one I guess I could join a second one next season (I don't like joining things after the season has already started.)

Though I prefer to do these things with my family or friends (i.e. people that have played football and won various championships and awards at various levels of football - the group conversation is more interesting to me that way) so if you've won anything in football - or if your team was bad if you've won some individual awards or something - a championship or anything, Pop Warner counts, anything? Or just played football ... Let me know and maybe I could pretend to be interested enough to join a college pool that you're in next season. Though probably not.

I do appreciate the very cordial invite, though.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Reaser wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:Sadly, I think I've learned more from the thousands of games I've lost than the thousands of games I've won (as a player and coach).
Absolutely. Lessons go both ways. My comment was in the context of "learning what wins football games", which talk is cheap, not sure how talking about "against the spread" pools is how football games are won?

Personally, I learned about what wins football games by winning football games that I played in (as JuggernautJ said, can learn from losing, too) and by being involved with - coaching or helping in an unofficial capacity - teams that have won football games. No team I've been a part of has ever won a football game by picking a team I didn't play for/coach/otherwise have any connection with to win a game in a weekly pool - then implying I'm an expert on what it takes to win football games.

Talk is cheap, if one knows what it takes to win football games then there should probably be a history of football games won as a player/coach/etc ... Talk is cheap, don't talk about it, be about it, win games in football (or if that's already been done, share that) ... That would make sense to me, but just my opinion.

Of course, the 'experts' apparently 'prove' they know how to win football games not by winning football games, but by being in ATS pools - like the millions of other people that pick football games every week.

Love the football credentials JuggernautJ, thousands on each side of the W/L column?! That's impressive, a lot of history there, you should share it all sometime.

mwald - I'm already in a weekly NFL ATS pool and a straight up group (season). Two with the NFL is more than enough for me. I am only in one college ATS pool though, so if you have one I guess I could join a second one next season (I don't like joining things after the season has already started.)

Though I prefer to do these things with my family or friends (i.e. people that have played football and won various championships and awards at various levels of football - the group conversation is more interesting to me that way) so if you've won anything in football - or if your team was bad if you've won some individual awards or something - a championship or anything, Pop Warner counts, anything? Or just played football ... Let me know and maybe I could pretend to be interested enough to join a college pool that you're in next season. Though probably not.

I do appreciate the very cordial invite, though.
That's an awful lot of chicken squawking where a simple 'no, thank you' would've been suffice.

No problem, my friend. I'll circle back with you next year.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I hope that real gambling is legalized in this country. Then, there may be more oversight and easier detection of fixes. However, as Brian Tuohy said in this interview, the sports leagues in this country don't want that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTccgZKkouk
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:I hope that real gambling is legalized in this country. Then, there may be more oversight and easier detection of fixes. However, as Brian Tuohy said in this interview, the sports leagues in this country don't want that:

Of course, Tuohy also had a boatload of assertions that claimed fixing was rampant and "endorsed" by the NFL. :lol:
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

BD Sullivan wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:I hope that real gambling is legalized in this country. Then, there may be more oversight and easier detection of fixes. However, as Brian Tuohy said in this interview, the sports leagues in this country don't want that:

Of course, Tuohy also had a boatload of assertions that claimed fixing was rampant and "endorsed" by the NFL. :lol:
I think that has to do with the fact that the NFL considers itself entertainment, and there is no law preventing them from fixing their own games. A Jet fan tried to sue the league back in 2007 after the Spygate incident came out, but the judge ruled in favor of the league. The reason had do do with what it says on the ticket. It says that you are guaranteed entry into an NFL stadium to see a game, but the game doesn't have to be on the level, basically.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I think that has to do with the fact that the NFL considers itself entertainment, and there is no law preventing them from fixing their own games. A Jet fan tried to sue the league back in 2007 after the Spygate incident came out, but the judge ruled in favor of the league. The reason had do do with what it says on the ticket. It says that you are guaranteed entry into an NFL stadium to see a game, but the game doesn't have to be on the level, basically.
So the NFL is now "sports entertainment" ala WWE?
Steviek

Post by Steviek »

John Grasso wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
So the NFL is now "sports entertainment" ala WWE?
No, not even close. The WWE is way more credible.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

And if you go to that site of his, he cut and pasted the thread of our questions and his replies to them (until he was booted off by the moderators) about fixed games in the NFL that was done without our consent. I don't endorse that book of his, but if your read his website, it seems to imply that I do.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen