What old stadiums do you miss?

Moran

Re: What old stadiums do you miss?

Post by Moran »

to get the images to show up in the post you need to click on the Img button and paste the url of the photo between the commands img and /img
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

A sunny Sunday in Denver was hard to beat when the Broncos played at Mile High Stadium.

http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/stadi ... lehigh.jpg
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

rhickok1109 wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:I miss seeing the Packers play in Milwaukee.

And I miss any stadium that was replaced by one with an artificial surface.
Did you ever go to a game in Milwaukee? State Fair Park was an awful place to watch a football game and Milwaukee County Stadium wasn't much of an improvement.
Never had the pleasure.
Maybe someone can show me next July... ;)

One can also "miss" a stadium from the television.
I enjoyed watching the games from Milwaukee as a kid because they were so different... and those games were part of what made the Packers special.

It would be nice to see a few games a year played in a "quaint" old fashioned, small town setting.
The NFL could use a humble pill every now and then.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by JuggernautJ » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:53 am
"Never had the pleasure.
Maybe someone can show me next July... ;)
"One can also "miss" a stadium from the television.
I enjoyed watching the games from Milwaukee as a kid because they were so different..."

There are many times when a venue, or any location, are embedded in the mind and evoke fond memories
regardless of the participants.
County Stadium is one such place - not for the Braves and certainly not for the Packers - but for the iconic cover
of the first issue of "Sports Illustrated."
It is hard to imagine there is a sports fan who saw it and does not remember it.

Other venue have a similar effect -
Yankee Stadium, for example, the home of one of the three greatest dynasties in the history of Sports.
You just associate the place with winning, with chamionships, with excelllence year after year -
just as the same feelings are evoked by mention of the (old) Boston Garden or The Forum in Montreal.
The names of the players on those teams changed and many are forgotten but where they played remains
long after the games have faded.

Football does not have a house like that yet and probably never will.
The numbers to surpass are far too great and the consecutiveness of some of those number is beyond reasonable expectation.

Many a game was enjoyed at Yankee Stadium and the list of heroes is long.
A few games at Boston Garden over the years were thrillers - even before Havlicek stole the ball and the Bird flew off
to the land of legends.
Never was a game witnessed at the Forum in Montreal except on television but the memory remains of those Canadiens
clobbering the Rangers.

So... yes; one can "miss" a stadium or arena without ever having been there.

County Stadium in Milwaukee can be "missed" just because of a magazine cover.
Mention "Milwaukee" and two things come to mind: the SI cover and that legendary brew known as "Milwaukee's Finest Beer."
Well, okay... maybe Al McGuire and the NCAA Championship too... maybe...
after all, he was a NYC boy with a brother who played a little hoop and another brother, an NYPD guy who played the ponies.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Mention Milwaukee, other things:
"Schlitz, the Beer that made Milwaukee Famous"

In 1968, the black basketball players, including Dean Meminger and George Thompson, threatened to withdraw from the basketball team due to the racial unrest after the MLK assassination and subsequent national racial unrest. They didn't in the end.

We may be too young for memories, and there was no TV, nor much film, but some venues were similar for football akin to Yankee Stadium, Boston Garden and Montreal Forum...

Soldier Field not only saw Bears championship games, but also famous college football games, none of which I can tell you about now, but many innovations came from coach Stagg.

Franklin Field even saw many Army-Navy games when these were a big thing.

I guess I like those for the scenic aspects and the historicalness of the "ancient" stadia.

Perhaps I think Yankee Stadium as well for 1958, but for the visual aspects of still photography of football from there. Notre Dame used to play Army there when both were powers.

I was watching the special on Marty Glickman the other day. I am not sure that sometimes in the time when NFL home games were untelevised, that a great announcer didn't make you feel you were there at in Glickman's case, Yankee Stadium...
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by luckyshow » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:31 pm
"Mention Milwaukee, other things:
'Schlitz, the Beer that made Milwaukee Famous'
In 1968, the black basketball players, including Dean Meminger and George Thompson, threatened to withdraw from the basketball team due to the racial unrest after the MLK assassination and subsequent national racial unrest. They didn't in the end.
We may be too young for memories, and there was no TV, nor much film, but some venues were similar for football akin to Yankee Stadium, Boston Garden and Montreal Forum...
Soldier Field not only saw Bears championship games, but also famous college football games, none of which I can tell you about now, but many innovations came from coach Stagg.
Franklin Field even saw many Army-Navy games when these were a big thing.
I guess I like those for the scenic aspects and the historicalness of the "ancient" stadia.
Perhaps I think Yankee Stadium as well for 1958, but for the visual aspects of still photography of football from there. Notre Dame used to play Army there when both were powers.
I was watching the special on Marty Glickman the other day. I am not sure that sometimes in the time when NFL home games were untelevised, that a great announcer didn't make you feel you were there at in Glickman's case, Yankee Stadium..."

Close... but no cigar.
We know all about Schlitz but Blatz was "Milwaukee's Finest Beer."
Soldier Field - a game played in fog so dense the broadcast team could not see the field. College All-Star Game.
The Bears? Nine meager titles in the same approximate time the Celtics racked up 17.
Green Bay - with 13 - clearly in football: Titletown, U.S.A.
The Lakers - with 16 - are the next nearest to Boston but 5 of those came in the BAA (which is good - they should count.)
As for the Canadiens, with 23 they are alost double runner-up Toronto with 13.
Of course, the fabulous New York Yankees (27 World Series Wins) make every team but Montreal seem like wanna-bes.

Marty Glickman could read the telephone directory and make it sound like "The War of the Worlds."
Mel Allen and Bill Stern could do the same. We were lucky to have a slew of others - Gowdy, Barber, even "Holy Cow!"
Today's people... none measure up to those that were.
Didn't Allen once do a game from the AP wire and no one suspected it wasn't live.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Trying to find a photo of the Gunners at Sportsman's Park was an exercise in futility.
Trying to find a photo of Sportsman's Park marked for football was equally as futile.
(Even "Vintage Football Photos" at wwwDOToldestlivingprofootballDOTcom had none.)
The search did reveal a couple of interesting items. (Certainly, there are others.)

The first is a memorial for the ballpark.
How sad that the NFL Gunners and American League Browns are ignored.

The second is an excerpt from a day in the life of Sportsman's Park.
The statement about the events of that day is applicable over 100 years later.

To paraphrase: All the sports world is up in arms over the deplorable spectacle, conceived in stupidity and executed in jealousy.

How well it describes the actions of the goodfella and his little band of nfl minions and all the detractors of an American icon.
In their own foolish ways, they have only contributed to the Brady legend and elevated his legacy additional notches.

Finally, of the incident(s) described below, only the alleged bribery might be considered illegal. Might!
(Note: "informally" banned)
---

Memorial

http://www.distilledhistory.com/wp-cont ... mansv2.jpg

---

During this time, the Browns were best known for their role in the race for the 1910 American League batting title. Ty Cobb took the last game of the season off, believing that his slight lead over Nap Lajoie, of the Cleveland Naps, would hold up unless Lajoie had a near-perfect day at the plate. Browns' manager Jack O'Connor had ordered rookie third baseman Red Corriden to play on the outfield grass. This all but conceded a hit for any ball Lajoie bunted. Lajoie bunted five straight times down the third base line and made it to first easily. On his last at-bat, Lajoie reached base on an error – officially giving him a hitless at-bat. O'Connor and coach Harry Howell tried to bribe the official scorer, a woman, to change the call to a hit – even offering to buy her a new wardrobe. Cobb won the batting title by just a few thousandths of a point over Lajoie (though it later emerged that one game may have been counted twice in the statistics). After news broke of the scandal, a writer for the St. Louis Post claimed: 'All St. Louis is up in arms over the deplorable spectacle, conceived in stupidity and executed in jealousy.' The resulting outcry triggered an investigation by American League president Ban Johnson. At his insistence, Hedges fired O'Connor and Howell; both men were informally banned from baseball for life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... uis_Browns

---
Posted - for obvious reasons - in both Threads
Tom Brady's four-game suspension nullified - and - What old stadiums do you miss?
~ Arnie Weinmeister