WFL BOX SCORES

izman1999

WFL BOX SCORES

Post by izman1999 »

I am trying to compile complete box scores for the 1975 WFL season. Any suggestions as to where I can find these box scores?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: WFL BOX SCORES

Post by Mark L. Ford »

That's going to be a tough job as far as using free online newspaper sources. The Chicago Tribune archives are excellent for research where you know the date you're looking for, but the Trib barely noticed the WFL when the Chicago Winds were playing. Unlike '74, when you could read most of the accounts in the Thursday and Friday papers, the league played on weekends in 1975, and most of the Google news archive holdings skip over Sunday papers.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I seem to remember that the Sporting News carried box scores for all WFL games, though I don't know whether they were "complete" to the degree you might want. That is, I can't guarantee that they included punt returns and that sort of thing.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Izman-- I had forgotten about this Charlotte Hornets/WFL memorial website. It's got the box score information that would have appeared in the newspapers for the games, starting with week 1

http://wfl.charlottehornetswfl.com/seas ... eek_01.php
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Very impressive. Tod Maher's statistical data is truly the ultimate word on the subject. He and Mark Speck were the authors of the World Football League Encyclopedia in 2006, published by St. Johann Press. There's still a lot of anecdotal information about the league in archived newspapers and in the memories of the players, the vast majority of whom are drawing social security.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Very impressive. Tod Maher's statistical data is truly the ultimate word on the subject. He and Mark Speck were the authors of the World Football League Encyclopedia in 2006, published by St. Johann Press. There's still a lot of anecdotal information about the league in archived newspapers and in the memories of the players, the vast majority of whom are drawing social security.
Piling on here, its awesome work!!!
Pat McDonald

Post by Pat McDonald »

Bravo to Tod and Mark. Love the WFL encyclopedia too ;)