1970 postgame 'incident' w/Shula & Ewbank

Bryan

1970 postgame 'incident' w/Shula & Ewbank

Post by Bryan »

I am curious if anyone has information regarding the 1970 Dolphins-Jets late season game in Miami. In the Dolphins season highlight clip, they show Weeb Ewbank and Don Shula shaking hands after the game. Ewbank is yelling at Shula and won't let go of his hand. Joe Robbie steps inbetween and breaks it up (always good to have the owner wandering around the field). Why was Ewbank so upset? Was there bad blood between them at that point in their careers?
Citizen

Re: 1970 postgame 'incident' w/Shula & Ewbank

Post by Citizen »

Leading 13-10, Shula had Garo Yepremian kick a chip-shot field goal with 41 seconds left instead of running out the clock. Maybe that was the problem.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Citizen wrote:Leading 13-10, Shula had Garo Yepremian kick a chip-shot field goal with 41 seconds left instead of running out the clock. Maybe that was the problem.
I understand that this was pre-Miracle in the Meadowlands, but I'm surprised Shula would risk a blocked FG in a three point game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Ironically, the next day, the Miami News had a photo of the two coaches with the caption saying that Ewbank was hugging Shula. It's interesting that the previous time those two coaches met in the Orange Bowl was in Super Bowl III.
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Weeb was also Shula's head coach when Don played for the Colts. It was only a few years later when Shula succeeded Weeb as the Colts' head coach. Those two certainly had a lot of history.