Caught in the Draft 1965: Spies, Superstars and Babysitters

coachtj

Re: Caught in the Draft 1965: Spies, Superstars and Babysitt

Post by coachtj »

....in response to the last two posts by 7dnbrnc53(will surmise you are a gradishar fan?), and jay z: am always honored to contribute in anyway I can for the folks at nfl films(am treated like a respected member of the family when there). as for caught in the draft '76....no doubt a show on this draft is in plans. with so much film stored/available; just takes time to find....thus the footage of bob timberlake. the producer for the shows this year "caught in the draft" had very specific questions, and I was to focus on nyg and the quarterback situation, and was tied to nyj situation with joe willie. as for '75 my focus was on the patriots, and wow! did I get an education in studying film, and painstakingly going over the line-up changes, and front office changes for the patriots from '71 till that draft in '75. from one of the dregs of the league to powerful victories over the steelers and raiders in '76.
James

Post by James »

Coach, it was a real pleasure seeing you on Caught in the Draft 1965. Real insight and learned a lot as always.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

coachtj wrote:....in response to the last two posts by 7dnbrnc53(will surmise you are a gradishar fan?), and jay z: am always honored to contribute in anyway I can for the folks at nfl films(am treated like a respected member of the family when there). as for caught in the draft '76....no doubt a show on this draft is in plans.
Yes, I am a Gradishar fan.

And, if that little nugget if info is included on that show, it would come as a surprise because not a lot of people know that the Boston PBS station televised that draft. It only seems like they did it once, though.

1. I wonder why?
2. I wonder if that's where ESPN got the idea to televise the NFL Draft four years later.
Evan

Post by Evan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: And, if that little nugget if info is included on that show, it would come as a surprise because not a lot of people know that the Boston PBS station televised that draft. It only seems like they did it once, though.

1. I wonder why?
2. I wonder if that's where ESPN got the idea to televise the NFL Draft four years later.
Yup, we had an exhaustive Forum string on the televised 1976 NFL Draft on PBS on the "old" Forum. A few members contacted PBS for more details and so forth.

According to this site, Upton Bell is mentioned as being on a 1977 NFL Draft show as well, although I don't know if that was live coverage or a wrap-up show or what:

"Bell also was co-host of the first national television show on the NFL Draft on PBS in 1977." - http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Upton_Bell
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

It wasn't all that exhaustive, Evan, (13 entries) although it did lend to some additional searching by some.

Here it is... a couple of minor statements are removed...

1976 NFL Draft was televised?
Started by evan, Mar 10 2014 10:17 AM

Archive

12 replies to this topic

#1 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:17 AM
In the Sept. 12, 1976 issue of Tom Harmon's Football Today newspaper, page 9 under "Pro/File" there is an item that says:

"An interesting (or boring) program note: Channel 44 in Boston televised the NFL draft for a total of 9 1/2 hours on the first day of the draft last April."

My questions to the Forum are:

1. Can anyone confirm that the 1976 draft was televised? It's a pretty straightforward fact to get wrong, but you never know. So just wondering if anyone from Boston might remember this?

2. Can anyone provide a jpeg of a listing in a TV section from a Boston newspaper (I know some of you have deep Internet research resources) from April 8, 1976 to show the draft was scheduled to be televised?

3. If this is true, was this the first televised NFL draft? The other earliest televised NFL draft I'm aware of was the 1981 draft, whose first round was on YouTube for a while.

4. Any details on what the broadcast looked like from 1976 (were there any interviews with players, coaches, personnel directors, fans, highlight clips of the players?) I imagine it must have been pretty bare bones but I wonder.

Thanks!

#2 Mark L. Ford
Administrators
Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:50 AM
It would have been unusual, though not necessarily out of the question. Channel 44 was Boston's PBS station, and April 8 was a Thursday, and it would have required getting a television feed from New York. I suppose that they might have pre-empted their regular morning and afternoon fare (Sesame Street and the like) for live coverage of the NFL draft, but it would strike me as a strange programming choice. On the other hand, I can't think of a reason that Tom Harmon would have had a reason to be mistaken, unless he got the information second-hand.

#3 Kelly1105
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

#4 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:21 PM
At this moment, waiting for a call back from Amy. Will advise.

But, for the record:

http://www.wgbh.org/about/contact.cfm

is a page for the submission of a written request.

#5 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:23 PM
Or, the media library number is: 1 617 300 3100

#6 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
If someone was sufficiently dedicated, don't most major libraries keep big city newspapers on a microfiche reader, where you could check the t.v. listings for a particular day? Here in Vancouver we have a large number of U.S. papers -- San Fran, L.A., Seattle (obviously), NY Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, and some others, though I don't think the Boston Globe is among them

#7 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:49 PM
Jeremy
Today, 01:52 PM
"If someone..."

I believe the New York Public Library in Albany has micro of most major newspapers in the world. At one time, they would send as many as five reels to your nearest Library or the Library you selected and used to make the request. The option was for the member's benefit. It was smart to use a Library with the best available reader. I have see some readers in a few libraries that are pretty beat up.
You had to use the reels AT THE LIBRARY and could not remove them.

I do not think they send to a local LDS with a Genealogy section.

So, Jeffrey's words of "sufficiently dedicated" apply here as well.

(The MAIN New York City site will send throughout the State of NY - or did. I do not think it loaned out of state?)

#8 BD Sullivan
Forum Visitors
Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:14 PM
I was skeptical at first, but a check of the Boston Herald does confirm that they aired coverage of the draft (simply titled "The Day of the Draft") from 9:30-5:00, hosted by John Carlson and Upton Bell, with the first half-hour serving as a preview. That night at 8:00, they had a two-hour review, which included fans calling in. Couldn't find any review of the program.

#9 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:20 PM
Wow, so it actually happened! That's a serious amount of coverage. Now I'm dying to know what the broadcast looked like, and if any clips or footage still exist. I'll see if anyone gets back to oldecapecod from his inquiry, otherwise I'll try calling there in a few days.

Anybody know of any earlier TV comprehensive draft coverage? And if not, I wonder what the backstory was of why this PBS station took this step back in 1976.

Thanks for all the great research so far, if there are any other tidbits or info anyone discovers about this, I'm sure it would be of interest to the Forum.

#10 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:34 PM
My call was returned and the fact that the draft was televised was confirmed; however, additional details may be available from their Media Library.
I have called that number at least on the quarter hour since my last post and it is constantly busy. It is after five in Florida now so I will stop until tomorrow.
Maybe someone will have better luck? I might try again after 7:00 pm. Sometimes, those people are working to prep research for a late-night show?

Anyway: Media Library - 1 617 300 3100

Don't forget to try the LINK in the post above and submit a written request. (I cannot cut and paste or I would be happy to list it again.)

#11 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:12 PM
Thanks oldecapecod, great work! Apparently this was not well-known. In this article (http://news.google.c...pg=6746,5843745) it states that ESPN covering the NFL Draft in 1980 was the first time it would be covered live. Oddly, Upton Bell was part of that coverage too.

#12 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:28 PM
Nice find, Evan! Good work getting on it to confirm, Phil.

Always cool to find/learn new information.

#13 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:58 AM
Evan
Yesterday, 09:12 PM
"Thanks..."

"The Tuscaloosa News" item appeared next to an exciting photo of a near-teen who had just killed his first turkey.
On the facing page there were two fish stories.
Kinda makes you wonder?

And... Upton Bell was trying to carve a career in the media - especially as a TV "personality." He did well for a while and then he was paired with Katie Couric for coverage of a Boston Marathon. (I think their man in the street was Larry Rawson?) Anyway, Upton seemed awestruck and fumbled and mumbled through most of the 3-or-so hours and couldn't take his eyes off Katie. She breezed right along most of the time as though he was not even there. It might have been a Rubicon event for Upton - the beginning of the end of his media career. He did a late-night Sports segment for a while with one of the 11:00 pm News broadcasts and was seldom seen on a weekly basis again. He may have reappeared when soccer came to Boston. I think he did.
Hey! At least when he was the Patriots' GM, no one swung a helmet at his head like Matt Millen did at Pat Sullivan. The interesting part of that scene was that Pat was practically surrounded by Patriots, none of whom offered either assistance or resistance and a couple even appeared to get out of the way. Millen missed - just as he missed later in his attempt at a GM spot.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister